What's new

Hello From The Dark Side (1 Viewer)

Chris Weaver

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Hello All,

I'm a mechanical engineering student and a draftsman for steel fab shop. My wife and I are looking to transition from apartment life to new-build house life in the coming years after I graduate, so I figured I'd immerse myself in all that is home theater by poking around these pages. I'm pretty capable and won't turn down an install challenge after I've done enough research to be comfortable tackling the job.

My current setup in the apartment is a Samsung 55" JU7500 with a Samsung H750 vacuum tube soundbar, Samsung Blu-Ray, Apple TV, and Monster UltraHD Black Platinum HDMI cabling. I've got a Harmony Ultimate One remote controlling it all. We're pretty happy with it, but we both know it won't do for a real home theater. My wife and I are on pretty well on the same page with what we want in our new home home theater; we would like a dedicated install in the basement capable of seating 8-10 in a 2 or 3 tier configuration with the tiers preferably poured as part of the foundation. I have decided that I would like space and construction provisions as part of the home build so I can finish the theater on my own. Sound dampening/isolation is a must as I would like an audio system that is capable of making the neighbors' milkshakes in their own kitchens without it. I've taken a liking to the curved projector screens, so I think that's the route I would like to go. I don't have any experience with projectors, so this will be all new territory. Now comes the all important budget point...I don't exactly have one, yet. My wife and I are tech geeks so we love gadgets...a lot...We tend to save up for the toys we want. My plan is to do my research, figure out the components I want, and then reevaluate after I've built a system if it seems too...much. I guess I'm ultimately looking for input on all aspects of a dedicated basement home theater: projectors; sound systems; complete home theater system integration, control, and automation; sound deadening, furniture, etc.

I apologize in advance if I ask any questions that come across as dumb; just trying to learn. :cool:

Cheers,

Chris

Real Name
Dennis
Welcome. Looks like you have a good start on your components. You have Samsung it up complete with the very expensive Monster Cables. I am not familiar with sound bars because I use individual Bose speakers which are over priced to me and anyone can point out just as good for a better price. Any Guru on the forum can point them out and will if you ask. I have found this forum very helpful with some HDMI problems I had so you have done well to join this forum. Good luck with your theater when it comes to pass.

Chris Weaver

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Thanks all. This forum has already taught me something: Dolby Atmos. I know it's been out for a little bit, but until I started poking around this forum, I wasn't even aware of it. I hadn't planned on a Samsung heavy overhaul of our original living room setup, it just kinda fell into place that way. Dennis, I do plan on the satellite style sound system. The wife is very emphatic on clean design and having tech blend into the room as opposed to standing out in it. She and I both liked the look of the vacuum tube soundbar, and so far I've been mostly happy with the sound. It is definitely missing the true surround that only a satellite system can provide.

Real Name
Dennis
Like I said, I don't know about sound bars but I get great surround with the 5 bose bookshelf size with one Carmin Vega SE 250 with a new 10" speaker as a bass. I know Carmin Vega is frowned on by most forum gurus but I watch mostly action movies with my system with the sound loud and it serves me well. Not very good for real music lovers. I run it all through an older model Pioneer VSX D711 receiver which has no HDMI at all because of bad experiences with that connection type. It allows me to set a large speaker as a Bass with ranges under 150Hz. Composite video for good color balance and optical for audio on TV and coaxial audio of my blu ray. Not a sophisticated system for sure but it works for me. I have my TV speakers turned off but some people use them for a center to save bucks. Good luck with your room, it will be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks