1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Hello everyone

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris>Sch, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Chris>Sch

Chris>Sch Auditioning

Hey everyone, just thought I'd like to introduce myself.

I'm 18 years old, live in Orlanod, FL, go to Valencia Community College, and work at Sam Seltzer's Steakhouse as a server. I'm trying to build a home theater system, and this is what I have so far:

Pair of Klipsch SB-2 bookself speakers
    Klipsch KSC-C1 center channel speaker
    Yamaha HTR-5560 receiver
    Sony DVP-NS715P DVD player

I'm using the SB-2s as my left and right mains, and for the rear surrounds I'm using these crappy Sony miniature speakers that were a part of my old Sony HTIAB. I'm planning on picking up an extra pair of SB-2s for my surrounds. I'm without a subwoofer at the moment, but that'll be the very next component I buy. I think it'll be a Klipsch, probably the KSW-12. Problem is, Sound Advice (my favorite electronics store) has the KSW-10 on sale right now, so I'm at a dilemma. Any advice would be appreciated.

Anyways, I'm confused as to what TV I want. All I know is I want something BIG, and it has to be widescreen. So all I really know is I want a widescreen RPTV, something that's under $2000. For now, I'm using my Philips 31 inch. It's actually a pretty good, vibrant set, but I need something better. Any suggestions?

Lastly, can someone point me to component cables that are relatively inexpensive (under $50)? I find it ridiculous that cables can be $100, and frankly, I doubt the extra money spent on these would be worth the very minimal (if anything) better image.

To sum it up, I'm trying to put together a quality system on a budget. I realize I cannot have the latest and greatest everything. For me to spend $600 on a pair of speakers is out of the question, the $300 I put down on the SB-2s hit my wallet pretty hard [​IMG].

2. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

I am in your position as well, trying to put together a quality system on a budget. I consider myself to be the "average joe" when it comes to home theater and while I find that I can't tell the difference between a $50 and $100 pair of audio interconnects, the exact opposite is true about video. Your eyes won't deceive you-you will definitely notice a difference (My girlfriend even did from a more expensive pair of component cables-www.bettercables.com) I went off the recommendations of people on this forum when I purchased them. I had nothing to lose-their return policy is generous if you are not happy. Now for audio cables, I just use Monster (although I picked them up for super cheap from someone who was upgrading). Good luck.

3. Wade_Kennerson

Hi Chris and Welcome to HTF,

Problem 1. Sub... This is my opinion, but I think a 10" sub will do more than enough in your HT space. I have a 10" sub, and had to cut a deal with my neighbor to watch movies at reasonable hours. I was shaking things on her side of the wall.

Problem 2. TV... Size matters? Well depending on the size of your room, big can mean 42" or 53". I was in the same hunt recently (December) and had it down to 3 TV's. The Samsung HCL4715WB (47" Widescreen), Panasonic PT-47WX42, and Hitachi HIT 43FWX20B (43" Widescreen). I wound up with a Panasonic, but not a widescreen. After much diliberation I realized (read: told by wife) we watch more cable than movies. Plus the wife did not like the stretched view and didn't care for grey bars either. But from those 3, I enjoyed the Panny picture the best. Your eyes won't deceive you.

Problem 3. Cables... Honestly, when on a budget, I would rather spend the extra money for fancy cables on the next higher component at the time of purchase. I built my HT first then went back to misc. items like interconnects and wires.

Hope this helps in some way.