What's new

Hello, everybody... (1 Viewer)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
How have things been going? I've been really tied up with a lot of stuff recently, so I haven't had much of a chance to post lately, and I must admit that the new lay-out has been a little confusing to me. I'm still out here, though, writing my articles, working at Wal-Mart and existing day to day.

I was looking at some of my posts from my first year on here (2001-2002) and I have to say that it's like looking at a different person entirely. I was still a teenager, still emotionally unstable, still saying really offensive things...I can't believe I wrote down some of the stuff I did. It's now 2009, and I think I'm a more peaceful person. I've been feeling a lot better, but I think that's due to a mixture of a good psychologist, the right pills and the fact that I'm now well into adulthood. As a matter of fact, I'll be turning 27 on December 22nd.

I guess the question here is: Do you look at the posts from the beginning of your time on here and wonder where your head was at? Progress is a wonderful thing.

So, I'm still alive and I'm still going to be posting. If it isn't as often as I once did, it's not because of you guys or the site or anything...It's because I have a rather busy life. This is always a great place to visit, though.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

See you on the boards.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Hi, John. Things have been going pretty well for me. I have a job that I love which is better than most people I know.

No, I don't look at my older posts. Why would I put myself through that torture? :)

Keep us updated.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Interesting point regarding the post from your teens. I for one am glad the technology wasn't around to record my musings when I was a teenager. At the very least I'd consider them a portrait of a starter kit version of myself.
But if they bother you from more than the usual embarrassment of youth sense, why not create another userid? You wouldn't even have to "conceal" your old identity; but just by separating the two, those posts would represent a closed book.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Welcome back John. I sometimes stumble across old postings of mine but they haven't changed dramatically. I'm 15 years older than you so maybe that has something to do with it. I agree though there is a certain mellowing and wisdom and sense of perspective that comes with age, particularly when you leave your tumultuous teens behind. I was pretty childish as a teen and put off my teen angst until I was in my 20's. I emotionally settled down by my 30's and got reborn when I had my first daughter 4 years ago.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey John!

You and I both joined the HTF in October 2001. But whereas you were 18 when you joined, I was already a "seasoned" adult of 42. I turned 50 earlier this year!

I do, however, run into some of my early postings at the board and still see some growth in maturity...especially when it comes to issues regarding HT knowledge and also how people interact with each other on the internet. I always contend, though, that the interaction here on the HTF beats the less-than-civilized interaction which can be found on so many other internet forums.

Now that my kids are young adults I see them do things and see a lot of myself (at that age) in their words and actions. While it is often true that "youth is wasted on the young," I wouldn't trade my life's experiences and maturity for anything. We pick up more of it with each passing day.

I'm so glad to hear that your life has been taking so many positive turns over the past few years. Please don't be a stranger here.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Thanks for the kind words. I've noticed that things have changed on here as well. For example, Warner Home Video was once held in VERY high esteem. In recent vintage, though, it appears to have lost a lot of goodwill, and now studios like Sony have started to step up to the plate, at least if I'm reading all the feedback correctly. On a different tack, many 80s movies have been released as well that I never thought would see a DVD release. I'm asking for "Screwballs", "Sping Break" and the "Hardbodies" Collection from my Aunt Janet for Christmas. I'm now awaiting the release of titles like "Valet Girls" and "The Wild Life".

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Will it happen? I hope so.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I think I'm going the other way: getting crankier and more argumentative as I get older. I'll look back at my old posts and think, "I was such a smart, young guy. What happened?"

And it concerns me how all you HTF'ers are a bunch of old farts now. I haven't aged a bit in the past few years...

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I hate the fact that when I google my name the first hundred results (at least) are threads from this place. They keep following me around.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by Al.Anderson

Interesting point regarding the post from your teens. I for one am glad the technology wasn't around to record my musings when I was a teenager. At the very least I'd consider them a portrait of a starter kit version of myself.
But if they bother you from more than the usual embarrassment of youth sense, why not create another userid? You wouldn't even have to "conceal" your old identity; but just by separating the two, those posts would represent a closed book.
Don't do that HTF will kick your butt for real/

Hi John, I think i've gotten more cynical over the years.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Originally Posted by TonyD

Don't do that HTF will kick your butt for real/
I don’t know, HTF management seems to be a pretty reasonable bunch. Well, the owners at least; the moderators seem to have been recruited off the same list as the Inglorious Basterds. (Hey moderators – I’M KIDDING!)
Seriously, I think if you explained the situation to them they’d be okay with it.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Hewell

I hate the fact that when I google my name the first hundred results (at least) are threads from this place. They keep following me around.
I only see a link or two from HTF by Googling Kevin Hewell, but if you want to remove HTF threads from that vanity search try googling:
Kevin Hewell -hometheaterforum.com

The minus symbol will remove those terms (or sites) from your results.

http://lifehacker.com/339474/top-10-obscure-google-search-tricks
http://www.googleguide.com/advanced_operators_reference.html
http://techtracer.com/2008/01/06/10-most-amazing-google-search-tricks/

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Hi John, I think i've gotten more cynical over the years.
I'm the same way. The older I get, the more cranky and cynical I get. It also doesn't help that I was laid off from the best (and highest-paying by a landslide) job I ever had the end of October (thanks Verizon, you bunch of so-and-so's) and now I have a job where I drive 25 miles further than I was, sit in traffic for 2 to 3 hours every afternoon trying to get home and make $5/hr less than I did. I'm not qualified for health insurance with my new job until March so I'm forking out $980/mo for COBRA coverage for my wife and myself. It also doesn't help that I have already come to hate the new job but can't afford to quit. (If I had it to do all over again, I would have sat on my duff and drawn unemployment for the winter since my unemployment benefit would have been the same I'm making right now.)

I think this may be the first time I've been on HTF since then. Mostly because I get up at 3:30AM to get ready and leave for work and don't usually get home until 5 or later, then I have things to do all the way up until I go to bed between 7 and 8. I can't even remember the last time I sat down to watch a movie. The other day, I was actually starting to think like Marvin from Hitchhiker's Guide.

Anyway, maybe next year will be better, I will score some happy pills and I will get more time to visit HTF.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks