What's new

Hello, Dolly! (1 Viewer)

BBbrowd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Fellow Dolly enthusiasts, you may find this discovery interesting. Some of you may already be aware of this:

Having just viewed the new "Hello, Dolly!" DVD, I noticed something rather exciting. There is different footage used for a short portion of the "Hello, Dolly" number at Harmonia Gardens on this Todd A-O version when compared to the previously released version on Laser Disc and video. It comes in the first few minutes of the song, during the dance on the runway when the waiters sing the lyric, "We feel the room swayin', and the band playin', one of your old favorite songs from way back when, so...". Notice Barbra's movements and facial expressions. They are different and much looser. Her hand and arm movements are not as precise as the other version, and her expressions and head movements are more playful. This segment's difference really stuck out to me, because I'd always been fascinated at the exact timing and precision in which Barbra kept with the waiters' movements in this bit of choreography. In this take however, she is off, but it's refreshing to see something loose and different. It's especially noticeable during their spin with their left arms extended up. She does look happier in this alternate take though.

TonyDale

Second Unit
;) You mean I have to pull out my laserdisc now that I've watched the dvd twice?!?!?

Great eyes you've got there, Chris!

SteveP

Second Unit
Didn't notice the difference in the "Dolly" number--I'll take another look. But I must say that the transfer seems a little soft for one that is mastered from a 65MM interpositive. But the audio blows away that on all previous transfers.

Stefan A

Second Unit
Has anyone had any luck finding it a store today? I went to BB, CC, and Target with no luck.

BBbrowd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Steve, I agree that the transfer looks a little soft. Even though it is still quite a beautiful transfer, I have to say that I was a bit disappointed, especially after hearing such rave reviews of those who had seen advance copies of this DVD. In some ways the last Laser disc version was better. The colors were more true, and the picture was deeper. On this print on the DVD there is often too much yellow and orange tones. On the laser disc print, when she wore her rust and yellow colored outfits, her skin was still pink and all the subtle shades of colors were varied and distingquishable. Here on the DVD they all seemed to be washed in the same tones, making some scenes look more mono toned. Oh, well. I'm picky I guess.

The sound, though showing no signs of distortion, is not as crisp as the Laser disc and the bass does not have as much punch.

Why is it that with so many of the older musical film releases, the Laser disc's sound is much better? This is the case when comparing the Laser disc version of "Victor/Victoria" with it's new DVD, as well. The laser version of V/V had an amazing clarity and heavy bass. On the new DVD it's just much more flat. Same with the Mary Poppins DVD. The laser disc of Mary Poppins had much bigger sound.

Even though I'm being critical of the Dolly DVD, please know that it's still quiet an amazing and enjoyable DVD. It's just that it's one of my favorite films of all time, so I have a tendency to go over it with a fine tooth comb.

The extras, though not many, are very good. The 1969 featurette looks great and is lots of fun. It really makes you feel like you are right there on the set.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Chris,

The colors on the LD are indeed amazing. Saturated and just glorious. I'm really curous to see the color reprodution on the DVD once I get the disc unwrapped at home tonight to compare and your comments will help guide me.

BTW, are you comparing the audio on the DVD to the PCM or the AC-3 (or both) on the LD??? The PCM sounded smoother on the LD compared to the AC-3 on the LD (same laserdisc has both), but the AC-3 also surprised me in having a more intelligible and cleaner sounding midrange and vocals. I'll have to compare all *3* sountracks now...PCM & AC-3 on the LD to the DD on the DVD!! BTW, almost without exception in my experience, the PCM on LD sounds more extended, natural, rhobust, and "full" compared to the same soundtracks expressed in Dolby Digital on DVD.

dave :)

BBbrowd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Dave,

I was comparing the audio of the DVD to the PCM on the Laser Disc.

As for the print on this DVD, it is very clean and much clearer than the version on Laser disc. It's just the colors that I was disappointed in when comparing them to the palette of colors on the LD version.

Don't worry, Dave. You are still in for a real treat when you watch the DVD. I'll be interested to hear your comments on it.

:)

DeeF

Screenwriter
I noted the softness of the picture, but I would so rather have that than harsh edge enhancement. I haven't seen the LD, but the colors of this DVD of Hello, Dolly! seem very right to me, lots of pastels, matching the costumes and sets. Perhaps the LD was too saturated?

Anyway, I am disappointed that there are no extras, and I'm mildly disappointed in the sound mix, which doesn't pop very well.

Still, I've watched this 5 times since buying it 2 weeks ago, so I guess overall, I LOVE IT!

Stefan A

Second Unit
Well, the best buys in the Baltimore area don't have any yet. I would have to go down to Virginia. I will just have to wait.

SteveP

Second Unit
The Laser Disc always seemed a bit brown and pinched to me.
Glad to have DOLLY directly off the 65MM even if it is a bit soft.

Laser Disc has always had a better reputation for transcribing audio than DVD has had up to this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks