Hello Dolly region1 fans, better pray for a better disc

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug Bull, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    To all fans and prospective buyers of Hello Dolly, a word of warning and discouragement.

I have just today purchased the brand new region 4 release of the movie and I'm very sad to say that the disc is a major dissapointment.

The picture looks like it has come from a very tired looking 35mm print. It is very soft, has faded and bland colors in most scenes, the blacks are slightly crushed and if that is not enough, just to add insult to injury, it suffers badly from ugly and excessive edge enhancement.

The only good things about the disc is that at least it is Anamorphic, the 4.0 Dolby Digital sound, which is quite ok, but strangely the only choice available and it's good news to find the Intermission and Exit Music intact.

The only extra is a poor quality Trailer.

Visually it is not a patch on the last Laserdisc.

I suggest all Dolly fans pray that when the region 1 version is announced (which should be soon) that it originates from a different source than the region 4 version.

I would think that might be unlikely though, as on most occassions region 4 discs are the same as region1.

Before you sell your Laserdiscs, you better wait and see what Fox dishes up.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Personally I'm praying for a disc with Carol Channing on stage

I saw her last run as Dolly, she was absolutely inspiring!

3. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

THe last laser disc was a beautiful transfer, the best I've ever seen the film look. The first widescreen laserdisc was squeezed. "Hello, Dolly!" was film in Todd-AO and some of those prints might be around (though they may be faded or turned to Pink). Hopefully we'll get a version act least equall to the last laser disc.

4. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    Greg,

I once owned that squeezed Laserdisc. ( Actually I've had every disc version of it, including an early Pal Pan and Scan one)

I often wonder how the sqeezed version would look now, unsqueezed on a 16:9 TV. I suspect the sqeeze wasn't enough for it to look correct, but if anyone still has that disc, it might be worth while giving it a try.

Hmmm, Anamorphic Dolly on Laser. I wonder?

I had another look at the region 4 disc last night in a fully darkened room and while it looked a little bit better, it is still extremely soft and is nowhere near the quality ( Color and sharpness) of the last Laserdisc, even allowing for the Anamorphic Enhancement of the DVD.

I beg Fox to source a better print for the region 1 DVD.

5. SteveP

SteveP Second Unit

The last laser disc, even though claiming to be in the original 2.2:1 aspect ratio, has somewhat brown and faded color and DOES NOT carry the Todd-AO credit. It was also missing the original tints from the opening still frame shot of the New York Street set. Here's hoping that the next DVD will return to the 65mm negative as source material.