Hello, Dolly coming to DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg_M, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

Last Night the Eygptian Theater in Los Angeles screened a brand new Todd-AO print of the FOX musical "Hello, Dolly!" with the film's original 5 channel sound track mix in DTS Digtial - 5 speakers behind the screen and a mono surround -(The sound actually followed the actors accross the screen as they spoke) We were told this was sort of a test print, my guess is that this is the negative they'll use for the DVD. Most prints which are screen at the Eygptian seem to end up on the DVD.

The film looked amzaming, sharp, no grain and colors I've never seen it have before. The print actually drew applause a number of times (especially when the Todd-AO credit appeared).

The film is actually quite odd. The Todd-AO process gives the film a "Lawrence of Arabia" importance while the story is about as important as a bag of mini marmallows. But the process kept tricking me into thinking I was watching something of importance, but there's still nothing there. Visually and sonically the film was a wonder. I would guess if FOX went through all the trouble and expense of making this print a "High Definition Tape" can't be far behind, the quality is truly demonstration. The only other FOX film I've seem look this good was the new print of "Patton" in Dimension 150.

It's easy/hard to see how FOX was able to "buy" a Best Picture Oscar nomination for "Hello, Dolly" in 1969 - The Picture Quality was definately deserving of an Oscar, though the subject/story was definately not.

HTF(Hope this is in the right section)

2. Jenna

Jenna Second Unit

I've been anxious to see this on DVD as well...an excellent new print would be icing on the cake. I alway's enjoyed watching this on TV and would love to see it in widescreen!

3. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I can tell you only this from what I remember...
    Fox was on track to release Hello Dolly
    with a number of other Fox musical titles.
    I think a lot of release windows were suddenly
    changed for this year, and those music releases
    have been pushed back until early 2003.

4. SteveP

SteveP Second Unit

Barbra played Dolly like Bugs Bunny in drag, though I've always loved the NY street set and the Hudson Valley in Todd-AO and have dearly missed directional dialogue since it was discontinued in the mid 1970's.

When the Egyptian was renovated, I think motion picture history would have been better served if the huge, curved Dimension 150 screen had been left intact instead of removed.

5. GerardoHP

GerardoHP Supporting Actor

Gerardo Paron
    That and the seating arrangement. The front half of the theater is too low for the screen (or is the screen too high for it?) You'll get a stiff neck if you sit there.

6. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

7. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

Although I couldn't care less about this musical, my wife has been wanting a widescreen version of this for a while. I will gladly buy it when it comes out.

8. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

David,
    I agree with what you said about Hello, Dolly!, although I'm pretty sure it's Horace, not Horris. [​IMG]

9. Crosley Carpenter

Crosley Carpenter
  10. TedD

TedD Supporting Actor

Is it PAL or NTSC, I can't tell from the review.

Ted

11. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

By their description of the R4 color it seems that this particular pressing did not use the new film print.
    Hopefully the R1 disc will take this DVD to the limit. In this day and age there's no excuse for aliasing or shimmer in a transfer (certainly almost NONE of Columbia Tristar's DVDs have these anomolies...just watched Immortal Beloved last night and it was SHOCKINGLY film-like on a big-screen.)
    Can't wait to see what Fox can do with Hello Dolly. I'm hoping for just a *tad* less EE than we ended up with in Sound of Music. [​IMG]
    -dave

12. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

David,

According to the presenter at the Egyptain Theater, the Todd-AO print of Dolly was made last week on 9/25.

13. Alan_Horner

Alan_Horner Stunt Coordinator

According to the DTS website: