What's new

Hello, Dolly coming to DVD? (1 Viewer)

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Last Night the Eygptian Theater in Los Angeles screened a brand new Todd-AO print of the FOX musical "Hello, Dolly!" with the film's original 5 channel sound track mix in DTS Digtial - 5 speakers behind the screen and a mono surround -(The sound actually followed the actors accross the screen as they spoke) We were told this was sort of a test print, my guess is that this is the negative they'll use for the DVD. Most prints which are screen at the Eygptian seem to end up on the DVD.

The film looked amzaming, sharp, no grain and colors I've never seen it have before. The print actually drew applause a number of times (especially when the Todd-AO credit appeared).

The film is actually quite odd. The Todd-AO process gives the film a "Lawrence of Arabia" importance while the story is about as important as a bag of mini marmallows. But the process kept tricking me into thinking I was watching something of importance, but there's still nothing there. Visually and sonically the film was a wonder. I would guess if FOX went through all the trouble and expense of making this print a "High Definition Tape" can't be far behind, the quality is truly demonstration. The only other FOX film I've seem look this good was the new print of "Patton" in Dimension 150.

It's easy/hard to see how FOX was able to "buy" a Best Picture Oscar nomination for "Hello, Dolly" in 1969 - The Picture Quality was definately deserving of an Oscar, though the subject/story was definately not.

HTF(Hope this is in the right section)

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
I've been anxious to see this on DVD as well...an excellent new print would be icing on the cake. I alway's enjoyed watching this on TV and would love to see it in widescreen!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I can tell you only this from what I remember...
Fox was on track to release Hello Dolly
with a number of other Fox musical titles.
I think a lot of release windows were suddenly
changed for this year, and those music releases
have been pushed back until early 2003.

SteveP

Second Unit
Barbra played Dolly like Bugs Bunny in drag, though I've always loved the NY street set and the Hudson Valley in Todd-AO and have dearly missed directional dialogue since it was discontinued in the mid 1970's.

When the Egyptian was renovated, I think motion picture history would have been better served if the huge, curved Dimension 150 screen had been left intact instead of removed.

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
That and the seating arrangement. The front half of the theater is too low for the screen (or is the screen too high for it?) You'll get a stiff neck if you sit there.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
The film is actually quite odd. The Todd-AO process gives the film a "Lawrence of Arabia" importance while the story is about as important as a bag of mini marmallows.
What makes a movie good -- "Importance"?
I can only watch L.O.A about once every 2 or 3 years at most (probably because it *is* important). I can watch Hello Dolly 2-3 times *per* year and have a blast singing, laughing, and reciting the lines the whole way through. I LOVE this movie. Camp to be sure. And Classic.
It always draws a tear or two during the "Parade Passes By..." sequence.
Can't wait to see it in glorious restored 16x9 DVD...with DTS sound??? (the PCM/AC3 on the LD left a LOT to be desired).
...a poor widow has to earn a living...
...well that's Earnestina -- always thinking of others...
...it's no use Horace, I've made up your mind...
...you go your way and I'll go mind...
...(H) Dolly Levi I have no intention of asking you to marry me! (D) Oh and I suppose you're expecting me to ask you?? Well I'm sorry Horace...I'm turning you down...
dave :)

Stefan A

Second Unit
Although I couldn't care less about this musical, my wife has been wanting a widescreen version of this for a while. I will gladly buy it when it comes out.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
David,
I agree with what you said about Hello, Dolly!, although I'm pretty sure it's Horace, not Horris. :)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
By their description of the R4 color it seems that this particular pressing did not use the new film print.
Hopefully the R1 disc will take this DVD to the limit. In this day and age there's no excuse for aliasing or shimmer in a transfer (certainly almost NONE of Columbia Tristar's DVDs have these anomolies...just watched Immortal Beloved last night and it was SHOCKINGLY film-like on a big-screen.)
Can't wait to see what Fox can do with Hello Dolly. I'm hoping for just a *tad* less EE than we ended up with in Sound of Music. :frowning:
-dave

Greg_M

Screenwriter
David,

According to the presenter at the Egyptain Theater, the Todd-AO print of Dolly was made last week on 9/25.

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
According to the DTS website:
DTS is the only digital surround sound format for 70mm...
I don't know how valid that claim is, but it's ostensibly the reason why the films at the recent Egyptian 70mm festival were screened with DTS soundtracks.

Of course, that means zilch if and when DVDs are made since there's nothing binding Fox to using DTS for those releases. It would be nice, but I have my doubts. They're going to have to provide 5.1 Dolby Digital mixes anyway and offering a 5.1 DTS mix as well seems unlikely. Of course, they could do a 2.0 DD/5.1 DTS, but what are the odds?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks