What's new

Blu-ray Review Hello, Dolly! Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
Do you happen to know if the waterwheel is still there? It is hard to tell from this pic.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
bryan4999 said:
Do you happen to know if the waterwheel is still there? It is hard to tell from this pic.
Here is an aerial view of how it looks now. I live 15 miles from Garrison and I'll take a closer look the next time I am passing by.

Vandergelders.JPG

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
noel aguirre said:
On an aside- I find it most odd that in the final scene before entering the church Dolly is scurrying down the most ugliest asphalt path with an even uglier pothole on it. Bizarre after viewing all the beautiful production details beforehand.
Was Asphalt even around in 1890?

CMNash

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Carlos M Nash
TCM just aired an HD version of "Hello Dolly!" last night (29 July 2013). However, I'm extremely puzzled as to what I just read during the intermission. A title card was displayed, saying "enter'e acte". What the heck is that? Am I missing something here? I know the French is "entre acte" which is contracted often to "entr'acte".

Can't they just display a black screen and avoid strangeness like this?

I was so stunned, I had to take a picture of it on my phone.

9396666319_3d69a1025b_o.jpg

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Strange spelling - it's supposed to be 'Entr'acte' which is closest to the French. Yes the Blu-ray "Dolly" is so good I bought 2 copies. One of the best catalogue releases of the year in my book.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I came across this photo of a few frames of Hello Dolly and I am wondering what is on the left side of the film - is that a digital soundtrack?

It looks like a DTS time code, but it's in an unusual place on the film. I suspect it's because that particular 70mm run (circa 2001) was designed to play only in special venues that were configured to the old pre-dolby 6-track sound (with five speakers behind the screen and one surround) rather than the modern dolby 6-track (with three speakers behind the screen, split surrounds and a low frequency effects track.) They didn't want anyone to make any mistakes?

EDIT: Either that or that's always were DTS went on large area prints, since it occurs to me just now that I've never actually seen one before.

On 35mm film, it's in a different place:

35mm_film_audio_macro.jpg

Sony Dynamic Digital (in blue) normally takes the outboard spot, Dolby Digital goes between the sprocket holes, optical sound is in it's normal place, and the DTS time code is normally sandwiched between the optical soundtrack and the far left side of the image area.

That's the only thing I can think it would be?

Last edited:

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Since KP revived this topic...

I'd happily pay for 'Hello, Dolly!" a 5th time if we get a true 4K version on 4K Blu-ray! Let's see...

√ VHS
√ Laserdisc
√ DVD
√ Blu-ray
4K - Pretty please!

Give us a Dolby ATMOS mix and really make the crowd vocals wrap us in glorious chorus! Yummy!

I think the DVD did a better job of enveloping me compared to the Blu-ray.

Mark

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The only problem, of course, is that the Hello, Dolly! film is now the property of Disney, and they tend to be disinterested in releasing older catalog titles on 4K.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Since KP revived this topic...

I'd happily pay for 'Hello, Dolly!" a 5th time if we get a true 4K version on 4K Blu-ray! Let's see...

√ VHS
√ Laserdisc
√ DVD
√ Blu-ray
4K - Pretty please!

Give us a Dolby ATMOS mix and really make the crowd vocals wrap us in glorious chorus! Yummy!

I think the DVD did a better job of enveloping me compared to the Blu-ray.

Mark

Not addressing the enveloping quality, but there are places in the DVD where the sound is not great - if you listen to Before the Parade Passes By from the DVD with earphones you can hear what seems like either dropouts or the compression is taking too much out. I am very pleased that the blu-ray sound is better (to my ear), but I admit I hadn't thought about comparing the surround aspect. And I had all of the above, and 2 laserdiscs - the pan & scan and then the widescreen (which seemed to have a slight squeeze in the video). I would buy a 4k version also. But, yeah, Disney.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Yes, perhaps I'm remembering the surround of the Laserdisc? All I know is the Blu-ray leaves me wanting more (surround) when I listen to the crowds join the song.

Mark

Last edited:

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Yes, perhaps I'm remembering the surround of the Laserdisc? All I know is the Blu-ray leaves me wanting more (surround) when I listen to the crowds join the song.

Mark

Just a thought - if you have a way to do it, set the blu-ray for 2-channel stereo and run it through a matrix setting (like Dolby Pro Logic) and see if you get more surround to your liking. I do that with the blu of Oliver! because even though it is 5.1 there is rarely any orchestra in the surrounds during songs. (I may get trounced for admitting I do that, but I think it sounds more full and pleasing to my ear.)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Just a thought - if you have a way to do it, set the blu-ray for 2-channel stereo and run it through a matrix setting (like Dolby Pro Logic) and see if you get more surround to your liking. I do that with the blu of Oliver! because even though it is 5.1 there is rarely any orchestra in the surrounds during songs. (I may get trounced for admitting I do that, but I think it sounds more full and pleasing to my ear.)

How DARE you???
ContentThriftyDalmatian-size_restricted.gif

GET HIM!!!!!!!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Here is a 1969 featurette about the filming of the "Parade" song that should have been included on the blu ray.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks