What's new

Blu-ray Review Hello, Dolly! Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Mark-P said:
No they didn't. Dialog is still directional.
So are some people saying it isn't direction just not happy with the mix? Or could their equipment not be calibrated correctly?

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Lromero1396 said:
So are some people saying it isn't direction just not happy with the mix? Or could their equipment not be calibrated correctly?
It simply lacks oomph. Compare Hello Dolly's massive parade music to the organs in The Sound of Music's wedding march or The Overture in South Pacific then get back to us.

nedinme

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ned
I saw this movie when it came out and I thought that Streisand was totally mis-cast. First she was too young for the part, but also she was a bit - how shall I say it? - schmaltzy..if there is such a word - she overplayed the part. I'd have preferred Carol Channing in the role. Even so, Streisand won a Best Actress Oscar for the part. As far as the movie goes, I loved it. When I listen to the music, however, I listen to the Broadway Cast album. Haven't got the blu ray yet, but it's on my list!!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
nedinme said:
I saw this movie when it came out and I thought that Streisand was totally mis-cast. First she was too young for the part, but also she was a bit - how shall I say it? - schmaltzy..if there is such a word - she overplayed the part. I'd have preferred Carol Channing in the role. Even so, Streisand won a Best Actress Oscar for the part. As far as the movie goes, I loved it. When I listen to the music, however, I listen to the Broadway Cast album. Haven't got the blu ray yet, but it's on my list!!
Of course, Streisand won her Best Actress Oscar the year before for Funny Girl. She was not nominated for Hello, Dolly! (She was nominated for a Golden Globe but lost to Patty Duke for Me, Natalie.)

One of the oddities of show business is that Streisand in the stage version of Funny Girl lost the Tony Award to Carol Channing for Hello, Dolly! and she ended up getting to play the role that cost her a Tony in the movie version.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Like when Julie Andrews won the Oscar for Mary Poppins because she lost her signature Tony nominated role of My Fair Lady in the movies to Audrey Hepburn. Show business can be so cruel.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
noel aguirre said:
Like when Julie Andrews won the Oscar for Mary Poppins because she lost her signature Tony nominated role of My Fair Lady in the movies to Audrey Hepburn. Show business can be so cruel.
Well, perhaps Julie won for Mary Poppins as a "sympathy" gesture or perhaps not, but, in my opinion, it is nonetheless a remarkable performance. She strikes the perfect balance between sweet and tart, and has a mischievous countenance that suggests a marvelous insanity just underneath. Even when she is stern with the children, it is with such lightness of heart that it is like a spoonful of sugar. I have seen the new stage version several times, and to my mind none of the actresses got it just right. In fact, one was so shrill and stern I don't know why the children would have had any affection for her at all. Even Julie herself couldn't quite recapture it in her 1973 TV show; in the first episode, Mary Poppins meets Eliza Dolittle and she plays Mary as rather a harpie and it just doesn't work. But the movie Mary Poppins: more than practically perfect and absobluminlutely Oscar worthy.

nedinme

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ned
Matt Hough said:
Of course, Streisand won her Best Actress Oscar the year before for Funny Girl. She was not nominated for Hello, Dolly! (She was nominated for a Golden Globe but lost to Patty Duke for Me, Natalie.)

One of the oddities of show business is that Streisand in the stage version of Funny Girl lost the Tony Award to Carol Channing for Hello, Dolly! and she ended up getting to play the role that cost her a Tony in the movie version.
I stand corrected!!! Thanks Matt!!!

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
noel aguirre said:
It simply lacks oomph. Compare Hello Dolly's massive parade music to the organs in The Sound of Music's wedding march or The Overture in South Pacific then get back to us.

Not my experience. "Dolly" completely resonates the way it always did!

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
nedinme said:
LOL! You would have preferred Channing because Streisand overplayed the part? There wouldn't have been any scenery left standing had Channing played Dolly onscreen!!!

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
noel aguirre said:
Please stop with your posts that refuse to acknowledge mine and others on here stating the the whites are overdone.
There is no blu in the scenes we have referred to - Not the entire picture. Geesh!
End of story.
I'm sorry, but the skies are blue, blue, blue on my BD copy of the film. Whatever you are seeing is not what the rest of us are seeing (those of us who cannot get over your insistence the blues are gone) I see blue everywhere. Sure, there are some clouds. But that's reality...blue skies with clouds.

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
Virgoan said:
I'm sorry, but the skies are blue, blue, blue on my BD copy of the film. Whatever you are seeing is not what the rest of us are seeing (those of us who cannot get over your insistence the blues are gone) I see blue everywhere. Sure, there are some clouds. But that's reality...blue skies with clouds.
All being said It looks and sounds great! The Overture on "Funny Girl" tops them all.

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
Everett Stallings said:
It's also called acting! This and" Barefoot in the Park" are my sick day stand bys. I saw the RoadShow three weeks in a row.

I'd LOVE having "Barefoot in the Park" on Blu ray.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
On an aside- I find it most odd that in the final scene before entering the church Dolly is scurrying down the most ugliest asphalt path with an even uglier pothole on it. Bizarre after viewing all the beautiful production details beforehand.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
While Hello Dolly is not my favorite film, I watched the new Blu last night and it is, without a doubt the BEST I have ever seen it look (and sound).

I thought it was a spectacular presentation.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
This building in Garrison, N.Y. was Vangergelder's feed store in the film.

Golden Eagle Garrison (1024x768).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks