1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Hello Dolly (1969)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by DP 70, Jan 16, 2013.

Tags:
  1. moovtune

moovtune Stunt Coordinator

James
    Amazing memory some of you have, to remember how it was when you saw a particular scene in the theater. Personally, I can't recall a theater where I would necessarily trust the image was being correctly displayed - including the Academy theater. And that's assuming I could recall specifically how the film looked after the screening ... even the day after. It's impressive that the studios bother to attempt any kind of restoration at all knowing there's always going to be complaints that "it's far from perfect" no matter what they do. Fortunately I have too many things to do and so many more movies to watch so that I don't have time to count scratches and flecks or worry whether the skin tones have a smidgen too much cyan and not enough yellow - compared to the VHS tape I owned in a 1984 transfer. Pay no attention FOX - keep up the good work.

Jimbo64, Robin9 and Rob_Ray like this.
  2. GMpasqua

GMpasqua Screenwriter

Greg
    Pay no attention? what kind of an attitude is that? Remember when FOX screwed up "Patton"? they fixed it later on, many said it was a great transfer originally
    than changed their minds

Some people will buy anything regardless of quality

3. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    You shouldn't selectively quote - what he said was "Pay no attention FOX - keep up the good work." He was being specific to Hello, Dolly! and Fox deserves all the kudos they can get. I completely disagree with you on your other points about contrast, and using screen caps from blu-ray.com to illustrate is meaningless and needlessly confusing. None of those "issues" you circle in red are "issues" when I watch the film.

Robin9 likes this.
  4. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    This is so nutty. There is no bluish tint, slight or otherwise. The contrast is fine - no whites are too bright. If you're basing this on a comparison with the DVD, well, I don't think you have to be told how nutty that is - the DVD was NOT GOOD. Thankfully, MattH's five stars is exactly what it should be.

5. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Yes! I don't purchase blu-rays just so I can look for flaws in the transfer. This appears to be a popular hobby on the forums.

Jimbo64, Robin9 and ahollis like this.
  6. GMpasqua

GMpasqua Screenwriter

Greg
    The unenlighted have spoken. I wonder if Mr. Harris has veiwed the disc yet.

7. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Let's calm down now. No need to get our panties in a bunch if some of us think the BD looks wrong while others disagree with that opinion. It's not like this isn't a common situation with so many BD releases, especially, when it comes to catalog titles with their prior video format releases. Once we start insulting those that disagree with us then any civil discussion is over with.

Robin9 likes this.
  8. OliverK

OliverK Producer

The Blu-ray and the DVD look very diffeent and in my opinion the disc does look very similar to the new print I saw which also was a tad yellowish which I did not want to mention previously as it might have lead to mass hysteria and besides I prefer a bit yellow to massive blue overload (Cleopatra Blu-ray anyone?)Yes I agree that the top end is looking a tad hot in the whites compared to the DVD but I can live with that. First off the DVD is not the reference and even if we went down that path the DVD looked very dark and who can say that this is a desirable look. As I wrote previously: What we are seeing is probably very much in line with the new 70mm print(s) making the rounds at festivals so I am happy with that.So what we have is textures and details that are stunning, a color palette that by itself looks convincing overall, a bit of a more contrasty picture than before and a sound track that seems by most accounts a massive improvements over other musicals that have beem criticized heavily for the "dead" sounding soundtrack.Not bad at all I'd say!

Will Krupp likes this.
  9. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    For those who were waiting for Mr. Harris to chime in - he has. And if those complaining about blooming whites and contrast problems and whatever else were hoping he'd be the one to say "Yeah, wow, I agree" you will be sorely disappointed. Those who've followed my posts here and in the review thread know that I and a few others, including the HTF reviewer, agree with him wholeheartedly.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/322838-a-few-words-aboutâ„¢-hello-dolly-in-blu-ray/

Jimbo64 likes this.
  10. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Please, no need to gloat about.

11. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    I'd be interested in seeing what those who complained about the video have to say about what Robert has said.

12. BBbrowd

BBbrowd Stunt Coordinator

Chris
    I thought it was okay to disagree. Not everyone is going to see the same thing. Yes, this is a gorgeous release overall. The picture is stunning and the audio is very impressive, but in *some* scenes, mostly in bright sunshine, and some scenes in the hat shop, they are far too high in contrast for my eye. It was the first thing I noticed when viewing the disc on its day of release. The details in white and light colored costumes, feathers, and some faces lose detail, and are at times, almost completely washed out. And yes, as some have stated, even the water in the background during her reprise of "It Takes a Woman". The sailboat is virtually lost as the water is so overly bright.

While I wish those scenes I mentioned looked more in balance for my taste, it doesn't take away from how thrilled I am with this blu-ray release. I'm grateful overall and I thank those who worked to make it as good as it is. Dolly remains one of my favorite films of all time and seeing it looking and sounding this good is a real joy.

13. Robert Crawford

Robert
    It certainly is and thank you for sharing your opinion on this BD. I currently don't own it nor have I viewed it, but if and when I decide to change that, your comments along with other poster opinions will be used in that decision process.

14. Stephen PI

Stephen PI Supporting Actor

I agree with you, RetroGuy, on the "overexposed, whites too bright" etc. I find this very distracting and spoils the experience for me and I plan to return my disc and stick to the HD broadcast.

15. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I have to agree with others that the wide difference in opinion regarding this BD leads me to believe that such differences isn't just about eye sight, film knowledge and expectations. I have to question whether the differences in equipment and viewing environment is having more of an effect on those opinion differences.

Moe Dickstein likes this.
  16. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    Crawdaddy, I would make a Vegas style wager that that would explain all the problems...

17. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Not every print, especially 70mm prints will be dead-on perfect. If prints are being sent into repertory, where they're going to be eventually trashed, you'll generally find that the print just before final is placed into distribution. In many cases, those prints have a touch of Y, which is corrected in the next print.

There is no reason to junk a $30,000 print that has very slight problems. While I'd not use it for the premiere of a restoration, I have no problem with it being used in rep.

RAH

18. OliverK

OliverK Producer

The way that prints are handled in many theaters that screen 70mm very rarely I completely agree. The print of Hello, Dolly! that I saw was presented at the Berlinale 70mm retrospective and I thought it looked very good overall (within the limits of the projection equipment) despite that slight tendency towards yellow.

19. trajan

trajan Screenwriter

lar
    If you want to see some major over bright contrast, watch the bluray of THE THREE MUSKETEERS. You need sunglasses to watch some of the outdoor scenes

20. Chuck Pennington

Chuck Pennington Supporting Actor

I'm very happy with how stable and detailed the image is on the HELLO, DOLLY! Blu-ray. It sure seems like the contrast and brightness levels are off compared to anything I'd ever seen before, but I've only ever seen a ratty 35mm print projected. Maybe the image is supposed to be that hot in the lighter parts of the frame. I do find the differences between this new master and a previous HD master (available on iTunes) used to make the DVD striking. There is no denying that the new master is miles ahead in clarity and detail.
    I know people don't like screen captures, but there is no other way for me to adequately show what I'm talking about. All were taken using VLC with the same settings. The first picture is from the iTunes HD version (admittedly compressed all to hell) and the second from the Blu-ray.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anthony Dale likes this.