Hello, and a cry for help.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by RoccoM, Mar 29, 2005.

1. RoccoM

RoccoM Auditioning

I have found this site in my quest to build a better home theater. I spent yesterday reading in the different forums and found that I came to the right place. This group is knowledgeable and I have already learned a great deal. I ventured into home theater way back when VHS and Beta were still battling. My first surround system consisted of a VHS and Beta VCR, an NEC surround processor Bose 401's in the front w/ Koss Dynamites for the back. More recently I have ventured into the HIb realm with my first digital system being a Phillips 5.1 system, Samung Digital TV and a Samsung DVD. First thing I did to upgrade was add a Bose Acoustimass 10 system. It didn't sound good, so naturally I replaced the receiver with an entry level Onkyo 502 6.1. Hmmm, the sound was still awful. I hit the internet to find out how I could have screwed up the set up on the Bose system. Then I realized what my problem was. I had fallen prey to the Bose marketing. The problem was they weren't very good speakers. I had added an Onkyo 502 Universal player and upgraded the TV to a Sony 34 inch wide screen XBR HD set. Now I have a relatively small room, and I am looking for a speaker system to provide excellent audio for movies, CD's, SACD's and DVD Audio. I know I do not know alot about speakers (I bought the Bose, didn't I?), But I am learning. I am looking at Polk RM20, Infinity Primus (theater pack, not the floor standers)or TSS 1100, Acoustic Research HC6 and various JBL systems. I have listened to them in the controlled environment, and like the sound of each of these. I would appreciate any guidance you can offer. Am I missing something? Are these good choices based on your experience, or should I look at something else. I read a lot about Fluance, but when I looked them up they are so cheap in price and I have never heard them. Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise.

2. MikeVM

MikeVM Extra

Not sure what you price range is, but you should look at B&W, Paradigm, Energy, KEF, Klipsch, just to name a few. I'm not advocating any brand in this list (I own older Polks myself) but each of these brands has a unique sound that appeal to different people. My best advise to you is to go listen (in a controlled environment, not a store that sells dishwashers and lawn tractors) and compare the sound of each of the speakers. For example, some people think Klipsch with their horns is way too bright. Others think it's a better sound than any speaker out there.

Just go listen to as many speakers as you can get your ears on, and buy what you like. Don't listen to the marketing, buy what YOU like.

-Mike

3. RoccoM

RoccoM Auditioning

Mike,

Good advice. Thanks for responding, and I plan to spend the weekend listening to more speakers.

Rocco

4. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

Rocco, if you're taken by the size of the Bose cubes, take a peek at the (March?) Sound & Vision magazine - they have a nice review of the Paradigm Cinema series (the review isn't online yet, but you can see the speakers and read more reviews at http://www.paradigm.com/)

5. John S

John S Producer

As posted already. Speakers are extremely individually preferenced.

Find some a selection of some you really like the sound of, the looks of, and the size of and start pricing them. Get the best you can afford.

I no longer suggest speaker models.

6. RoccoM

RoccoM Auditioning

Thanks for your comments. Fiesalk, thanks for the heads up on the Paradigm, I am researching them now and they do look impressive. I am calling to find a place to actually hear them. Thanks again to you all.