What's new

Helllppp! My PC freezes if I copy a picture or attempt to download a file (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I'm fairly naive when it comes to PCs, so please be gentle with me!

I use XP on a machine that's just over a year old and have a broadband connection. Everything was fine until a couple of days ago, when the machine started freezing when I right clicked on a picture on the web and tried to 'Save As'. When I say 'freezing' I mean that the page wouldn't budge without multiple CTRL-ALT-DELETEs. However, the cursor still moved and as far as I know everything else about the computer is fine. I can still copy images by clicking 'copy', going to a folder and clicking 'paste' but this is more laborious. For me, it's not too big an issue because I don't need this facililty much, but my kids use the internet for copying pictures for school projects, etc, and it's going to drive them nuts. I've also noted that the machine is closing the internet pages if I try to download a file such as a music or film clip (no, not *that* sort!).

So far I've tried the help desk of my internet provider and they say there's nothing wrong with the server. I've tried re-loading Internet Explorer and again, no effect. I've looked on Google and found nothing. And of course, wouldn't you just know it, the machine is a couple of months out of guarantee.

Please can anyone make any suggestions?

My hunch is that this is the harbinger of a big breakdown with the computer (I use a computer intensively and generally they have a life expectancy of about 18 months and the early warning sign of collapse is something tiny like this). I've got a backup hard disc and copied everything across just in case. However, for commonsense reasons I'd prefer to keep the same machine if I can!

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
First, manually clear IE's collection of unneeded temporary files by launching IE, then click on TOOLS > INTERNET OPTIONS > you'll be on a dialogue box with a tab that says General, and half way down you'll see something titled "Browsing History" with a description that says "Delete temporary files, history, cookies...etc" and a button that says "DELETE". Click the button that says "DELETE". This will get rid of a lot of junk. It might also mean the next time you visit some web sites you might have to log in again (like to this here Home Theater Forum bulletin board). But it is worth doing.

That might clear it up. But if it does not, or if the problem comes back after a couple weeks, am curious about another possibility:

This is a total stab in the dark, but I wonder if your hard drive might simply be full (or nearly full). Go to START (the start button) > My Computer > and hover over the icon that represents your C drive. It will say

"Free Space: XX GB
Total Size: XX GB

What numbers are where I wrote the XX's?

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
131 and 232

I've tried disabling the firewall and this has no effect. I've also cleared out any old internet files, cookies, etc, and again, no effect. :frowning:

Many thanks for the suggestions, though - they are appreciated.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
When I've had wierd problems like that I've found that system restore frequently helps me out. I go into system restore and restore to a date before I had issues and see if that fixes it. To be safe you can create a restore point prior to doing that. Whether or not this has anything to do with your issue, I don't know, but it may be worth a try.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Bob, I feel guilty that you've taken the trouble to write this (for which many thanks) and I should have said in my original post that I'd tried system restore and the wretched machine won't let me.

LewB

Screenwriter
Andrew:

Have you:
Run any spyware detection programs to see if your system is 'dirty' ?
When you al-ctrl-del, does the Window task manager appear, is your CPU pegged at 100% ? If so, can you tell which process is bogging things down ?

Mary M S

Screenwriter

Andrew I used to spend hours on this stuff.
With the restore disabled odds are high some malware the kids picked up surfing is mucking with your system.

If you know a date, and it is not too far back, I'd boot safe mode, enable 'show hidden files, all files tab'.

Ask for all files 'created' after that date.
Look for anything suspicious, but be careful deleting those files, much of so called 'legit' Microsoft activity, can also look nefarious, when you start digging around!

First boot your computer, connect the web, and take a quick look at running process's. Then duplicate the problem, try to copy something, letting it hang and check the process's again. Anything new which starts running just as the system hangs, google the name for info, and pull up in 'Search files" to see what date it was created. Some of these things will show up in process's this way (some won't) but its a starting point.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
What Mary said, open up Task Manager, Ctrl-Alt-Delete, and see if there are things running on your system that shouldn't be running, if there are any suspect programmes you can temporarily "end process" and see if it makes a difference or google the name and see what it is. Could be your computer has picked up malware from somewhere.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I'd also suggest trying another browser, at least to see if that's the issue.

Explorer is one of those browsers that can easily be taken down by all of those "ad-ons" that can be installed from other various app installs.

I know my brother had major crashing issues because his Explorer was full of those "Google Toolbar" type of add-ons.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Ctrl-Shift-Esc will open the Task Manager directly. Even right-clicking on the Taskbar and choosing it from the menu is less traumatic than having the entire screen clear.

betooz

Agent
Real Name
Chris
Andrew, not sure if this is still a problem or not as there has been some good advice given in this thread. Another option to see exactly what's installed and running is HijackThis. I know not the best name but it was written for helping find malware including browser highjackers. You can download it from www dot majorgeeks.com/download3155.html , you can read the tutorial about the program here www dot download.com/HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10379544.html

Post the contents of the log file and we will get to the bottom of your problem. Apparently I don't have enough posts to use actual URL's sorry.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Folks, many thanks for all your replies and my very sincere apologies for the delay in replying - purely pressure of work. I'd tried CTRL-ALT-DEL and there wasn't anything untoward, run anti-virus and spyware detection programs, made sure my firewall etc were up to scratch, etc, and nothing. I also checked with my service provider and they'd run a detailed test on the system and found nothing.

However, when I booted up yesterday, suddenly everything was running perfectly and a couple of links to USBs had returned after a couple of months' absence (I hadn't bothered sorting out the problem because I never used the connections). I suspect it's a hardware glitch. I don't know if I'm unusually 'heavy handed' with my computers (if there is such a thing) but my machines rarely last beyond about 18 months. I've copied all my files onto an add-on hard drive and I now await the next calamity. ;)

However, many thanks once again and if the same problem rears its ugly head I'll methodically go through your suggestions.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
Have you been running the "Clean disk" and "Disk Defragmentor" programs? They really help your computers performance. It takes out all that junk that is stored up on your hard drive that you don't use (ie. cookies, recycle bin, etc.)

If you don't, that may explain why your computers don't last very long...

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Bobby, those are part of my weekly chores.

I just seem to wear out computers. I don't do anything silly with them, I'm scrupulous over basic maintenance, I always get a machine that's fit for purpose, etc, etc, but they just wear out. I guess it's just one of those things. The only other thing I can wreck are metal golf drivers - I've just caved in two in successive weeks. According to the club pro, I hit the ball rather hard. And before you ask, no, I don't hit the computer (though there have been times when I've come close ;)).

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
What happens to the computers? Do they just, not turn back on anymore?

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Various things go wrong with them. Mostly the hard drive gets corrupted, circuits fry horribly to death, etc. I usually at this point give the machine to our brilliant computer technician who will tinker with it and then tell me I may as well buy a new one. Some folks are simply the kiss of death with some types of technology. E.g. I have a friend who has the same computer he had 8 years ago (admittedly, bits have been upgraded along the way) but he wrecks DVD players.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks