What's new

Pre-Order Hellfighters (1968) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
915ni0GSk8L._SY679_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
By the way, the 2015 BD is still available on Amazon for $9.99. I seriously doubt Mill Creek is releasing this movie from a new master/scan.
I was curious about this, I hadn't heard anything about it. I still have the old bluray. It's not my favorite Wayne film, but some of it was shot not too far from where I live, and a lot of my family was involved in the oil industry in the Houston/Baytown area since at least WW2.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’ve never seen this one, RCR - worth checking out (in whichever format is the best cost value)?

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Always wanted to see this one.

Will await the Mill Creek reviews, otherwise the 2015 BD will do the trick.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I’ve never seen this one, RCR - worth checking out (in whichever format is the best cost value)?
I'm a little bias as I first watched this movie during its theatrical run back in my childhood. I liked the movie, I have the older BD release and will not be ordering this new Mill Creek release.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I also saw this when It came out and have the original BD. I don't know whether I would like it as much if I was seeing it for the first time now. Back then, I saw everything John Wayne was in, and though the film has a lot of longueurs and is occasionally slackly directed, the action sequences are involving and colorful, and besides, every image basks in a warm nostalgic glow for me. And Wayne is Wayne. Even when the narrative distintergrates and it appears the director is on a coffee break, he holds everything together. You can't take your eyes off him. He walks across the room, looks at Katherine Ross out of the corner of his eye, lackadaisical yet benevolent, and yeah, I love it. You can tell those performers enjoy being around each other. It's not just acting. There's a kind of Hawksian camaraderie, but without Howard Hawks' mastery of improvisation and cinematic form. Nonetheless, it's entertaining, in a mellow, low-key kind of way. It's long, but if it was shorter, there wouldn't be that sense of community.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I also saw this when It came out and have the original BD. I don't know whether I would like it as much if I was seeing it for the first time now. Back then, I saw everything John Wayne was in, and though the film has a lot of longueurs and is occasionally slackly directed, the action sequences are involving and colorful, and besides, every image basks in a warm nostalgic glow for me. And Wayne is Wayne. Even when the narrative distintergrates and it appears the director is on a coffee break, he holds everything together. You can't take your eyes off him. He walks across the room, looks at Katherine Ross out of the corner of his eye, lackadaisical yet benevolent, and yeah, I love it. You can tell those performers enjoy being around each other. It's not just acting. There's a kind of Hawksian camaraderie, but without Howard Hawks' mastery of improvisation and cinematic form. Nonetheless, it's entertaining, in a mellow, low-key kind of way. It's long, but if it was shorter, there wouldn't be that sense of community.
Same here! I'm pretty sure I watched this movie and "The Green Berets" within a year of each other. I remembered this movie came out in the summer and then "The Green Berets" came out in the winter. While this movie holds up pretty well for me, "The Green Berets" not so much. Of course, both movies had Jim Hutton in them so the Duke must have liked him. There were a couple of other supporting actors in both movies too like Bruce Cabot for one. Cabot was a Wayne regular supporting actor.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This was the movie that Katharine Ross first caught my eye with her beautiful brown eyes.:) I was a little young for "The Graduate" in 1967/1968. My first viewing of that movie was when it made its network TV showing while I was in college in the mid-1970s. At least, that's my memory of both films so I could be wrong regarding "The Graduate" on network TV. I think the next movie I remember her from after seeing the "Hellfighters" was "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" which came out in 1969.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
At different times, I saw both Red Adair and Boots and Coots at work, bringing nasty and dangerous blowouts under control. This movie did a great job of depicting the techniques involved in this dangerous process. You can't imagine the power behind a Foothills high pressure sour gas well that's open-hole to atmosphere for 68 days until these guys capped it. With thousands of barrels of sour condensate, which has the consistency of gasoline, produced each day! What a hellish mess! This was in Alberta Canada, and people as far south as California were complaining about the 'rotten egg' smell. You felt that you needed to consider yourself dead in dealing with it. My only technical critique is that The Hellfighters didn't quite capture the hellish sound of such a blowout, which sounds like standing next to a jumbo jet or B-52 under full throttles.

I also saw The Hellfighters first run theatrical in 1968, and I have the existing Blu-ray, which is superb and was had dirt-cheap at about $5. The Mill Creek reissue has brilliant cover art. I hope Mill Creek can continue to have an active release schedule. Love those double feature Noir and Westerns releases.

Considering how great the DVD already looks, you would think that a Blu-ray premiere of In Harm's Way would be a natural for the new Paramount line! Love the Duke!

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The pricing on Amazon and a few other retailers has dropped down to $13.99, but, you can still get the 2015 BD for $9.99.

F451

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I'll say this for Mill Creek -- they have a better cover graphic than the Universal release. I've never seen the film but Wayne, at the very least, is entertaining. (No comments about The Conqueror, thank you.)

(Now, someone, please -- bring on Circus World, which I haven't seen since its original Cinerama roadshow release.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks