Hellboy on July 27th

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Matt Stone, May 4, 2004.

1. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

According to DVDFile, the 2-disc SE of Hellboy will be out on July 27th. No specs yet.

I wonder if they're still planning on an extended cut later this year.

2. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

Well, we did hear Del Toro say there will be a three disc SE with an extended cut that is 20 minutes longer for the end of the year.

3. Ryan Wong

Ryan Wong Stunt Coordinator

Wouldn't it nice to have the extended cut in the coming release on July? Why wait till end of this year?

I like this movie but I don't think the ending is that good. At least the final villain should be more powerful and shouldn't looked like a j-lo.

4. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

Another one that got some solid reviews that won't be released until September here. I'll make a decision on a blind purchase closer to release.

5. Jim Barg

Jim Barg Second Unit

Jim Barg
    Personally, I can't wait, but this is going to absolutely kill the overseas box office. Why in the world would Sony wait until September to open this?

Anyway, I'm sure that the uber-edition will come to pass (if nothing else, I can always sell the other one on Ebay) and I look forward to it.

By the way, Nick, it's worth the blind purchase, IMO.

6. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

September in Australia, I don't know when it is released in the bigger overseas markets.

7. Jim Barg

Jim Barg Second Unit

Jim Barg
    If I'm not mistaken, it's supposed to open in Europe during September as well - I know some UK and French posters on the CHUD message boards were griping about that last month.

8. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

Actually just checking the date it is August 5th, so i'm a month off. So it comes to cinemas a week after the DVD, I think i'll wait now. I have high expectations on this one, I really dug Del Toro's last two films.

9. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I don't know that Sony will even let DelToro do a three disc since it didn't perform as well as hoped, so far it has a total domestic gross (as of May. 3) of $57,653,318 which is shy of it's production budget of $66 million plus a marketing cost of $30 million....two disc at best I'll bet.

...then again that isn't a bad haul for such an obscure comic character in such a quirky film, they might bank on making a better domestic profit off of the fan DVD sales so if they take that state of mind a three disc set is possible, plus the soon to come additional overseas grosses might help it's status.

10. Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson Second Unit

I wanted to see this so badly, but it it finals week here. I would think the 3-disc edition will happen since it got generally good reviews from the critics. But that's just me, and they're many good reviewed movies out there with crap dvd's.

11. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Hey, it's finals week here too and I'm up at 5 in the morning playing World Series 2k2 on my Dreamcast [​IMG]

I'd hope for the three discer Del Toro talked about, but until I hear something official I'll hold my optimism.

12. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

This is a Columbia Tri Star release. Expect 3 or 4 or more versions of this to come. Can't we all say "Superbit"? [​IMG]

13. Jim Barg

Jim Barg Second Unit

Jim Barg
    Well, since all parties are saying the sequel is coming and $60 million isn't a bad gross considering how unknown the character is, plus we are talking about Sony here... I'd bet on the deluxe edition coming. If not now, then certainly before Hellboy 2. Plus, as anyone who has the Blade II 2-disc edition will tell you, Del Toro's REAL fond of DVD... either version would suit me fine.

14. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Artwork?

15. Chris_Marin

Chris_Marin Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG]

That's all the information that we have officially been given so far.

Click here to see some Hellboy menu shots.

16. Lawrence X

Lawrence X Stunt Coordinator

I just saw it in the theater with my 9 year olds. All three of us thought it was way better than we expected. By far the best comic book hero movie out so far - for my money the ONLY one worth seeing. Great visuals, funny with a dark edge, all around a good flick.

There was only one theater in town playing it, and the three of us were alone in the theater at 6:00PM on a Saturday. Hmm. In any case, it was a good flick and should be a hit on DVD. And given how good transfers have been on new DVD's lately, no doubt a reference "show off the system" kinda disc.

17. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

18. Sven Lorenz

Sven Lorenz Supporting Actor

The problem with the 3-disc edition is that there's a good chance that it will be delayed until the release of Hellboy 2 (like the new cut of Daredevil has been delayed until the release of Elektra).

19. Chris_Marin

Chris_Marin Stunt Coordinator

We have just obtained a little more detail on the contents of the Hellboy disc:

Full article here.

The two commentaries and the 150mins documentary have definitely sold me on this release.

20. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

How much better can the next edition be?