Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Title: Hellboy (2019)

Genre: Action, Adventure, Fantasy

Director: Neil Marshall

Cast: David Harbour, Milla Jovovich, Ian McShane, Daniel Dae Kim, Sasha Lane, Penelope Mitchell, Brian Gleeson, Sophie Okonedo, Alistair Petrie, Thomas Haden Church, Kristina Klebe, Ashley Edner, Douglas Tait, Vanessa Eichholz, Mario de la Rosa, Atanas Srebrev, Stephen Graham, Laila Morse, Nitin Ganatra, Mark Stanley, Rick Warden, Markos Rounthwaite, Ilko Iliev, Nadya Keranova

Release: 2019-01-10

Plot: Hellboy comes to England, where he must defeat Nimue, Merlin's consort and the Blood Queen. But their battle will bring about the end of the world, a fate he desperately tries to turn away.

image.jpeg

Unfortunately there will be no Guillermo del Toro directed Hellboy 3 with Ron Perlman, but a new take with David Harbour could be pretty interesting. So kinda mixed feelings on this.

Last edited by a moderator:

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Not sure about the casting, but Ill give it a shot.

As far as R-rated comic movies, that's a bit short-sighted. Follow the source material and then make your choice. Deadpool and Wolverine should most certainly be R rated, Fantastic 4, sure, PG13.

I've been a huge Batman and Wolverine reader, and up until Logan and the Nolan Batmans, both were neutered versions of what they should have been.

I read a lot of complaints about Deadpool, I mean get a clue about the source material people, and follow it. One of the largest movie complaints is not following a book when making a film, but yet people don't want R rated comic movies. Newsflash, not all comics translate to a PG film. Hell DC is now making R rated cartoon movies based on material and they are very well received.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I'm not sure why a reboot is needed. If they want to tell more Hellboy stories, just tell more Hellboy stories. Why wipe away what came before? The decision to make it R rated shouldn't impact that either way.

So what do they want to do that is so dramatically different that they want to scrap it and start over instead of just telling more stories?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
MIlla Jovovich is The Blood Queen in the new Hellboy reboot. She put up this poster on Instagram a few days ago. The film is scheduled for a 1/11/2019 release date:

30080031_193544548100915_5902758990105804800_n.jpg

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
So kinda mixed feelings on this.

I don't read comics. I was introduced to Hellboy through Del Toro's films and that is really the extent of my interest in them. I'm really sad that he won't be able to finish his trilogy arc, and personally I'm not really interested in supporting a reboot. That doesn't mean at all that I'm making any judgments whatsoever about the reboot's quality, just that GDT is the reason I came to the franchise in the first place, and absent him and his cast, I'm not sure I really want to see what else there is.

But this is certainly the kiss of death for Del Toro's version. If this film does well, it will prompt sequels to the reboot. If it doesn't do well, the takeaway will be "The general public doesn't want Hellboy at all," not "The general public doesn't want this version of Hellboy."

While I appreciate Universal picking up The Golden Army at all after Sony declined to make it, I still think they were irresponsible dating it for a week before the opening of The Dark Knight, which clearly was going to be a monster opening obliterating all other fanboy pictures in its path, which is exactly what happened. I feel like The Golden Army may well have done better in a different, less-competitive release slot, but of course Universal didn't take that away from its release, since they would have to admit to botching the release if that was the lesson. They just figured people don't want more of this, which is unfortunate.

If only the reboot had taken a little while longer to get off the ground, maybe GDT would have been able to parlay his recent success as an Oscar-winning director of a Best Picture into getting financing for his version. Oh well. At least we got two great films out of the previous iteration.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Despite my reservations about this movie, the poster and the tag line made me smile.

I hope it includes a lot of the fun the first two films had.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Are they actually just naming this the same thing as the original film without some kind of subtitle or modifier to distinguish it from the previous iteration? That seems potentially confusing. When Sony rebooted Spider-Man, first they went with "The Amazing" for Garfield, and then for Holland they went with a subtitle, to distinguish it from just "Spider-Man" (i.e. the McGuire films.) Seems odd that Lionsgate wouldn't do the same thing here.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samtbax
Recent bookmarks