What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
To celebrate the film’s 15th Anniversary, Sony has released Guillermo del Toro’s vision of Hellboy, in a packed to the gills collector’s edition featuring both the original theatrical cut and director’s cut remastered in 4K, plus new and old special features, many of which have never been released on Blu-ray.

Hellboy (2004)

Released: 02 Apr 2004
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 122 min

Director: Guillermo del Toro
Genre: Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Horror, Sci-Fi

Cast: Ron Perlman, John Hurt, Selma Blair, Rupert Evans
Writer(s): Guillermo del Toro (screenplay), Guillermo del Toro (screen story), Peter Briggs (screen story), Mike Mignola (comic books)

Plot: A demon, raised from infancy after being conjured by and rescued from the Nazis, grows up to become a defender against the forces of darkness...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Great review Todd, thanks! I just got this today and am looking forward to spinning it up tonight!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, thanks for your review as it only confirms my decision to bypass the digital and buy the actual 4K disc was the right decision. I wanted another reference 4K disc in my collection. The only problem is I'm still waiting on Amazon to ship it, though, it's in-stock.:)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Yeah, thanks for your review as it only confirms my decision to bypass the digital and buy the actual 4K disc was the right decision. I wanted another reference 4K disc in my collection. The only problem is I'm still waiting on Amazon to ship it, though, it's in-stock.:)
The digital is also 5.1 only....

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My copy has shipped so I should have it by Thursday which is pretty good considering its Amazon.:rolleyes:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
My wife and I watched it last night and WOW, does it look and sound FANTASTIC! Hellboy is most definitely a reference 4K UHD release IMO. Detail, color, HDR are all just wonderful, and the Atmos audio kicks. You will not be disappointed Robert.

Last edited:

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Love that the Blu-ray is newly remastered too. Like the Batman films and Little Mermaid. Too bad most are not when released in 4K. Would anyone know of a list of such newly remastered Blu-ray’s included in 4K releases?
And thanks for a great review Todd!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My wife and I watched it last night and WOW, does it look and sound FANTASTIC! Hellboy is most definitely a reference 4K UHD release IMO. Detail, color, HDR are all just wonderful, and the Atmos audio kicks. You will not be disappointed Robert.
It arrives today which I'll play either today or this weekend in my main HT setup with 7.2.4 Atmos.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I watched about the first half hour while getting ready for work. I will echo the comment about being concerned at the Columbia logo...which was a shimmery mess...only to find that the film itself looked great. Not sure what happened with that opening logo...

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I watched about the first half hour while getting ready for work. I will echo the comment about being concerned at the Columbia logo...which was a shimmery mess...only to find that the film itself looked great. Not sure what happened with that opening logo...
I took a look at the previous Blu-ray of the Director's Cut and the logo was a mess on that, too.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched the Director's Cut today on 4K disc and I concur about it being a reference disc to show off your 4K and/or Atmos setup.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Fantastic disc. Wish all new 4Ks included remastered blus. Does anyone no if there is a list of which ones do? On only Hellboy 2 had one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks