What's new

"HELL AND HIGH WATER" (1954) Twilight Time Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
I've just this morning completed watching the above title.
It is always a joy when a product achieves the level of perfection and satisfaction that this title has provided
I particularly want to emphasize the audio aspects of this release.
The staff at Twilight Time, and I want to mention two people in particular, Nick Redman and Mike Matessino, who have gone well out of their way to get this level of quality.
First, in providing the original stereo audio format, where available, for this and previous Fox CinemaScope titles (4-track, represented either in the form of a 4.0 or a 5.1).
Secondly, the Isolated Score track which Mike Matessino has gone to the trouble to present the music in its original recording format, three channel stereo. Listening to this score encoded in DTS-MA makes an immense difference to the listening experience instead of the traditional three to two mix down.
The picture, which is presented in its original 2.55 format is excellent. I shall reserve any further comments to "A Few Words....."
Previous TT titles which provided the isolated score in 3-channel stereo are "GARDEN OF EVIL", "INFERNO", "ANASTASIA" etc. Non TT Fox titles which have their isolated score in 3-channel are "THE ROBE" and "THE SEVEN-YEAR ITCH".
For those that have difficulty in listening to isolated scores because of the empty gaps in between cues, I recommend turning on the sub-titles which I think really helps. Listening to the scores like this compared to even the highest quality CD's still is to me a night and day difference.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I viewed this disc today too and thought the audio and video presentations of it were excellent.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
[QUOTE="Stephen PI, post: 4498576, member: 300539"Previous TT titles which provided the isolated score in 3-channel stereo are "GARDEN OF EVIL", "INFERNO", "ANASTASIA" etc. Non TT Fox titles which have their isolated score in 3-channel are "THE ROBE" and "THE SEVEN-YEAR ITCH".
[/QUOTE]

I didn't know about that. So Inferno is mono but the score is 3-channel stereo?

"ANASTASIA" etc. - there are other score's in 3-channel stereo?

Last edited:

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
[QUOTE="Stephen PI, post: 4498576, member: 300539"Previous TT titles which provided the isolated score in 3-channel stereo are "GARDEN OF EVIL", "INFERNO", "ANASTASIA" etc. Non TT Fox titles which have their isolated score in 3-channel are "THE ROBE" and "THE SEVEN-YEAR ITCH".
"ANASTASIA" etc. - there are other score's in 3-channel stereo?[/QUOTE]

Correct about "INFERNO". Music score and quality are superb.......Paul Sawtell.

Just a reminder that music recorded 3-channel, or more, does not automatically indicate a theatrical stereo release.
From memory, the following has more than the traditional two channels(original format may vary):

"DR. ZHIVAGO" (DVD not blu ray) (music is encoded 5.1 but is most likely from a three-channel source). Maurice Jarre
"EYE OF THE NEEDLE" (TT Blu-Ray). Miklos Rozsa
"STANLEY AND IRIS" (TT Blu-Ray) John Williams
"DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL" (Fox Blu Ray) Source is 'push-pull multi channel' optical sound. Bernard Herrmann.
"GARDEN OF EVIL" (TT Blu-Ray) Bernard Herrmann
"LOST HORIZON" (TT Blu-Ray) Burt Bacharach
"ALIEN" (Fox Blu-Ray) (format 5.1 source unknown) Jerry Goldsmith.
"ALIEN 3 (Fox Blu-Ray) - 1992 theatrical version only) (format 5.1 source unknown) Elliot Goldenthal.
"ALIEN RESURRECTION" (Fox Blu-Ray) - 1997 theatrical version only) (format 5.1 source unknown) John Frizzell/Jerry Goldsmith
"ANASTASIA" (TT Fox Blu-Ray) Alfred Newman.
"THE ROBE" (Fox Blu-Ray) Alfred Newman.
"THE SEVEN-YEAR ITCH" (Fox Blu-Ray) Alfred Newman.
"OLIVER!" (TT Sony Columbia Blu Ray) (format 4.0) (This is a 4-track stereo music and effects track w/vocals - score is 3-track. Some cues may be clear of effects and vocals, haven't played it in a while). Lionel Bart/Johnny Green.
"GOLDEN VOYAGE OF SINBAD" (TT Blu-Ray). (format 5.1 source format unknown) Miklos Rozsa.
"SINBAD & THE EYE OF THE TIGER" (TT Blu-Ray). (format 5.1 source format unknown) Roy Budd.
There may be more......

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
"ANASTASIA" etc. - there are other score's in 3-channel stereo?

"OLIVER!" (TT Sony Columbia Blu Ray) (format 4.0) (This is a 4-track stereo music and effects track w/vocals - score is 3-track. Some cues may be clear of effects and vocals, haven't played it in a while). Lionel Bart/Johnny Green......[/QUOTE]
I saw Oliver! in the theater 2x. The first time was when in was re-release after it won some small gold statues at a show ;). It was prolly 35mm and from what I recall it was in "plain" stereo ... In 1975 Oliver! was re-released and some of my cast mates who were in the play version & I went to see that version.It was in 70mm and had 4 channel stereo - every so once in a while the effects track would kick in the rears ...

From my recollection... the TT disc replicates the version I heard in 1975 without some picture element issues that came up during that presentation (The song "As Long As He Needs Me" has a reel change in the middle of it and Nancy's dress changed colors drastically on the theatrical version ... but NOT in the TT version :))!

Apropos of nothing ... the "Soundtrack" album ....
oliver-soundtrack.jpg
is in stereo

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
"OLIVER!" (TT Sony Columbia Blu Ray) (format 4.0) (This is a 4-track stereo music and effects track w/vocals - score is 3-track. Some cues may be clear of effects and vocals, haven't played it in a while). Lionel Bart/Johnny Green......
I saw Oliver! in the theater 2x. The first time was when in was re-release after it won some small gold statues at a show ;). It was prolly 35mm and from what I recall it was in "plain" stereo ... In 1975 Oliver! was re-released and some of my cast mates who were in the play version & I went to see that version.It was in 70mm and had 4 channel stereo - every so once in a while the effects track would kick in the rears ...

From my recollection... the TT disc replicates the version I heard in 1975 without some picture element issues that came up during that presentation (The song "As Long As He Needs Me" has a reel change in the middle of it and Nancy's dress changed colors drastically on the theatrical version ... but NOT in the TT version :))!

Apropos of nothing ... the "Soundtrack" album ....
oliver-soundtrack.jpg
is in stereo[/QUOTE]

From what I can understand from your message, the 'plain' stereo you heard on a re-issue was probably a 'Dolby Stereo' two-track matrix optical made from the 4-track discrete master. At the time of the theatrical release in 1968, 35mm prints would have been either 4-track magnetic combined with optical mono sound or mono optical only. Dolby optical stereo technology was not developed until about nine years later.
Color changes from reel to reel was common, even on IB prints. I used to see it often during my years as a projectionist and cinemagoer.
In home video it is not so bad but I still see inconsistencies mostly in flesh tones.
The LP is a 2-track stereo mix from 3-channel, or more, elements. The discrete center information becomes a phantom channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks