What's new

Heist (merged) (1 Viewer)

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
This sounds like I would enjoy it.

Unfortunately, after the REUNION fiaso, I don't know if I want to commit to a 13 episode show without a guarantee that all 13 have been shot!

I know I will never watch another show like this on FOX, but should I give NBC a chance?

Does anyone know if NBC has paid for the full 13, or did they learn their lesson from paying in advance for 2 seasons of Joey?

ps

Looks like it's just Heist, no The. I don't think I can edit the thread title, though.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
They've probably paid for all 13, although with it being an NBC Universal co-production, they probably could cut it off.

Anyway, I figure, just enjoy what you get, and this does look like it's going to be quite enjoyable.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Did anyone watch the premiere? I was really good, high quality with a real movie like feel. This is the kind of show that makes me wonder why they can't make good films like this anymore. It's the best thing Doug Liman has done since Swingers.

The only weak link is Michelle Hicks as the RHD detective. I recognized her as a former model, but I couldn't figure out if she was bad or if my knowledge of her being a model turned actress was coloring my perception. Then about half way in, my wife, who didn't know her from Adam, said, "God, she's awful".

Looking forward to the rest of the series if they can keep up any semblance of the quality shown in the pilot.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I thought the script and the acting were bad, plus Michelle Hicks just bothers me (probably fallout from playing Mara on "The Shield").

BennyD

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone have any clue what band that was that covered Midnight Rider at the end? Seemed to have a more modern beat to it then the normal Allman Brothers version so I'm assuming it was a cover.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
But why when one network schedules a show do similar networks follow, with Thief coming on FX, who stole from who?

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I just got around to watching this. Not sure how I feel about it. While I thought it was entertaining, I also thought it was pretty cheesy, and tried too hard to copy the 'Ocean's 11' vibe. Even the Mickey character seemed to mimic Danny Ocean. I'll probably give it one more episode.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I had some problems with this show...

1. A tad too violent, I know that we live in a time where it's acceptable (to most people except me) to see brutal killings and dismemberment on network television every night of the week, but blowing an innocent kid to smithereens with a bomb was a bit much IMO, and then being so flippant about it..."Write this down, 'remaining eye, unresponsive.'". HA HA. :thumbsdown:

2. The previously mentioned Ocean's 11 vibe, way too close to the mark! I half expected to see Karen Sisco and Julia Roberts show up at any moment as I was momentarily fooled into thinking that I was watching something by Steven Soderburgh.

3. The racist cop, I guess this was the show's attempt to interject some of Crash into the story but it was a little too heavy handed and trite, actually come to think of it, so was Crash so I suppose the show got that right.

4. The Tommy Boy referrance, did you catch it? I did..."I can actually hear you getting fatter." It demonstrated that the show was desperately low on originality, although it's resemblence to Ocean's 11 showed that already. The show also contained just a hint of The Italian Job as well with the whole switheroo taxi situation.

5. That female kleptomaniac detective, WTF? She's a cop right, so why is she stealing petty items from a grocery store? Actually, she was the most interesting character on the whole show as I am interested in knowing more about her, her character alone may keep me watching. Maybe when she was undercover she actually got to like stealing?

6. The group dynamic, i'm not feeling it, but i'll give that more time to develope as it was just the pilot.

So, even though it had a light and breezy style, except for that harsh bombing scene, the show was disappointing for me overall. I will stick with it for a couple of more eps, though.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Given that they're both hitting the air at around the same time, it is quite possible that neither stole from the other. Sometimes a certain kind of story is just "in the air". It isn't unusual for Hollywood to release several films on similar themes at around the same time, all of which were in production simultaneously and therefore in development long before that and unlikely to influence one another.

Sometimes a hit film will get TV producers and film people casting about for similar themes, sometimes a news story will do the same. Given the normal development time it isn't surprising that several unrelated projects inspired by the same movie or event will hit at around the same time.

Besides, I don't think Thief, which seems a lot grittier and more character-driven, is going to resemble the high-gloss slickness of Heist very much. They really look like very different shows, despite the superficial similarity in subject matter. It is a bit like Miami Vice and The Shield both arriving at the same time and people wondering which cop show was copying the other. :)

Regards,

Joe

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The second ep was as good as the first, and Michelle Hicks was just as bad.

It is essentially a 13 episide Ocean's 11 clone, but I like the writing and (most of) the acting, so I'll take it. Plus, I like Ocean''s 11 style heist movies.

The only thing is, I don't know how you jump into this after a few eps. It's hard for me to recommend this show to someone if they aren't there from the start.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I enjoy the show, but it is just part of my busiest night of TV.

The flip-flopping of time slots doesn't help either.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I just watched the second episode. It was still moderately entertaining, but I think it's hanging by a thread for me. I think the acting overall is horrible. But I did like that car chase scene. Who was that weirdo driver? He was a character.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I kind of enjoyed the 1st 2 episodes. But now that they've moved it opposite "Lost", forget it. That's a deliberate show-killing move.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I sort of see why they premiered the show in the normal L&O spot at 10 to get it an audience. I can also understand why they moved L&O back to the 10 spot. What I don't understand is that they moved it back for an L&O rerun.

I guess the L&O ratings eroded at 9pm and they had to stop the bleeding.

Normally, I'd say the show was toast, but being only 13 eps, NBC may show all of them or at least show the rest of the eps after sweeps. I don't wanna go through that web eps thing like I did with Book of Daniel. At least let us download them.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I hope it doesn't come down to watching episodes online, because the night time scenes are almost impossible to see on my computer.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Heist has been canned, but it appears that NBC will be showing the last 3 episodes (they cut the 13-episode order to 6 episodes, so that's all we'll see broadcast).

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
So I guess the $64,000 question is whether or not the producers were able to wrap things up in 6 eps or if they just shuttered production in the middle of the story.

My wife and I were enjoying this show quite a bit. We even looked forward to it.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I was on the fence with this show...I guess this makes my decision easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks