Heist films

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by bill lopez, Dec 10, 2001.

1. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

What's up with Hollywood giving us all these heist films?

This trend seems to have started when HEAT went to video.

There is a movie from the 60's called GRAND SLAM about a group of pros who set out to rob a vault. I remember one of the pros was a pretty boy ladies man who had to romance a woman who worked there in order to get to know the alarm system. And of course THIEF with James Cahn is good.

2. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

Don't forget Sean Connery's first film after his Diamonds are forever swan song, The Anderson Tapes.

3. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

Yeah, I've notice Hollywoods trend of spitting out heist movie in higher than normal volumes too.

To this day Heat still blows them all away. I didn't care for the final shootout though. A big let down. Neil would have filled Hannah (Pacino) full of holes. I thought it was great the way Neil and Kilmer did complete 180's on their sworn to lifestyle mottos. "Never get attached to something you can't walk away from in 15 minutes if you feel the heat coming". Heat is one of my all time favorites. It was the second DVD I actually purchased, right after T2.

4. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I for one love heist films, they always seem to work for some reason, Heat being one of the best ever filmed, I also saw The Score tonight, WHAT A MOVIE!
    Edward Norton is one of the finest young actors out their, and the film just rocks!

5. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

The thing about HEAT as in the case with SCARFACE is when they opened at the movies they weren't the hits and talked about the way they are after they hit video.

Why does OCEAN'S 11 become the blockbuster hit and HEAT had pityful box-office?

6. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

Don't forget "Rififi" and "Big Deal On Madonna Street"

...without which none of these recent films would have been made, especially if the directors/producers missed them in their Film 101 class screenings !

7. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

8. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

[​IMG]
    I'm with Mike all the way on "Rififi", which is my favorite heist picture (and just got my own copy yesterday). I haven't seen a single heist picture that gets into the nitty-gritty that this one does.
    While I loved Heist, The Score and Ocean's Eleven, they are kid's play compared to Jules Dassin's masterpiece. Crime taken to Shakesperian levels, if you will. [​IMG]
    Jay

9. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Heat

Thomas Crown Affair

Point Break

Die Hard

Wisdom

These are my favorite heist films.

10. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    Some of the more enjoyable heist films of the past 51 years:
    RIFIFI (1955)
    TOPKAPI (1964)
    THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY (1979)
    THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR (1968)
    THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR (1999)
    GOLDFINGER (1964)
    GAMBIT (1966)
    THE ASPHALT JUNGLE (1950)
    THE KILLING (1956)
    KANSAS CITY CONFIDENTIAL (1952)
    ODDS AGAINST TOMORROW (1959)
    HOW TO STEAL A MILLION (1966)
    THE TAKING OF PELHAM ONE TWO THREE (1974)
    THE HOT ROCK (1972)
    DEAD HEAT ON A MERRY-GO-ROUND (1966)
    THE ITALIAN JOB (1969)
    THE LEAGUE OF GENTLEMEN (1960)
    THE DAY THEY ROBBED THE BANK OF ENGLAND (1960)
    ONLY WHEN I LARF (1968)
    CHARLY VERRICK (1973)
    MALCOLM (1986)
    DIE HARD (1987)
    DIE HARD WITH A VENGEANCE (1995)
    I'm eager to see GRAND SLAM and BIG DEAL ON MADONNA STREET (I realize it's available on Criterion DVD) sometime soon.

11. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

I loved grand slam(I think that is the one with an elaborate heist and a very surprising twist ending--don't worry I won't give it away).

12. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

I haven't seen GRAND SLAM since the early 70's on t.v.

Where there any big stars in the movie? I remember it looking like a forign film like a early 60's James Bond film.

13. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

14. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

15. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

I enjoyed Heat and all, but the whole Pacino and DeNiro face to face was so much hokem. The scene that they had was shot so poorly, they could have each shot their portion of it on separate days without spending a moment with each other and we would never know. I hate the old "over the shoulder" technique when overused and in this scene, it was. What is great about these two actors is allowing them to work off of each other, but the way it was shot, it was basically "Pacino speaks, cut to Deniro. Deniro speaks, cut to Pacino, etc. etc." Bleh. This is sad considering the director (it was Mann, wasn't it?) who I thought could compose shots better. Maybe it was shot separately?
    Phil

16. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

Oh, and add Quick Change , the Bill Murray flick that people seem to love or hate. I think it was a hoot and a cool heist movie (though more of a "get away after the heist" movie). Resevoir Dogs would also fit into the heist category, even though the heist is never actually witnessed.
    Phil

17. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

Phil, To me, the only heist in "Quick Change", took place when you paid your money at the box office!

It was someone's nightmare idea of what a heist film should be with Bill Murray...or did I just create another sub-thread ?

18. Arun Vajpey

Arun Vajpey Stunt Coordinator

I think that 'Grand Slam' is the best heist movie ever made. It was made in 1967 and the original title is in Italian 'Ad Ogni Costo'. Like many European movies of the time, it was part-dubbed into English, with Edward.G.Robinson, Janet Leigh, Robert Hoffman (the playboy) speaking in actual English, while Klaus Kinski, Georges Rigaud, Adolfo Celi etc had their voices dubbed (excellently, I might add). Most credits are italian, including the director Guiliano Montaldo. It was made by 3 European studios and distributed in the USA by Paramount.
    The last time it was shown on TV in the UK was in 1978; by others' comments above, I gather it is rare in the USA as well. As far as I am aware, it has never been released on VHS officially, although recorded copies are (or were) available from Video Search of Miami. Anchor Bay actually announced the DVD release in "early to mid 2002" but then withdrew the statement. Apparently, it is now uncertain if and when the DVD is going to come out. It is most certaily a movie worth waiting for.

19. Arun Vajpey

Arun Vajpey Stunt Coordinator

I heard that Soderbergh's version of 'Ocean's Eleven' is released in the USA and already a big hit? The original movie is one of my favourites and I cannot imagine that George Clooney, Brad Pitt etc can match the 'Rat Pack'. My biggest worry though is what 'Soddy' has done with the direction. Try as I might (and I have), I cannot bring myself to like his style and I can only hope that he has done a good old-fashioned job this time rather than introduce his irritatingly languid direction.

20. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

As usual Mr. Fitzgerald's list is excellent. [​IMG]
    Let me add a couple more that were not mentioned yet.
    Kelly's Heroes(1970)
    The Getaway(1972)