Height of rear speakers 5.1 setup

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Rick Wilson, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Rick Wilson

Rick Wilson Stunt Coordinator

The HT room in our new house has sidewalls that are 5 ft. tall. At that point the walls angle in towards the ceiling which is 8 ft. Room width is about 16 ft.

Should the rear speakers be mounted with the top at the 5 ft. level or should they be up on the angled wall? If so, how high from the floor to the bottom of the speaker?

Thanks
    Rick

2. DavidVT

DavidVT Stunt Coordinator

Rick,

Answering this is kinda tough, cause the stock answer would be 2-3 feet above ear level when seated. Some folks however are not too keen on that idea bacause of the type of speaker used, bipole, tripole etc. Anyhoo, my best suggestion, would be to temporarily place in position and listen to sound tracks, then reposition them and choose the one that sounds the best to you!

3. Rick Wilson

Thanks for reply. I should have mentioned that my rears are dipoles.

I need to make the decision before the sheetrock is up since I want to run the speaker wire in the wall.

I guess sitting would be about 4 ft. from ear to floor. 2 ft. higher would be 6 ft from floor and 2 ft from ceiling. I'll have to look at the plans again to see how wide the room will be 6 ft. from the floor. This may place the speakers too close to the listening position.

Rick

4. Shane S.

Shane S. Stunt Coordinator

Your room sounds exactly like my second floor, you wouldn'r happen to be building in a Cape would you?
    The wwhole rule about the sitting thing also depends on distance from the listening posistion And the height of the back of the chair. and to take it one step further I have read that you want the speakers pointed at your head slightly from above. I'm also wondering about the side wall thing and how much it will matter with dipole channels or if it may help to mount them on an angle anyway.
    Thats a bit of a sticky one because you can't really tell how it will sound w sheetrock when the sheetrock isn't up. My guess (yes its a guess, sorry) is if you can move them to the rule of thumb height and still keep the rears fairly seperated then do so, but you don't want them closer than your L and R fronts. I think i would go for a happy medium there.

Shane

5. Rick Wilson

No, it isn't a Cape. The room is considered the Bonus room. It is the area over the garage.

I'll have to get the plans out and do some measuring.

Rick