What's new

Height Channel (1 Viewer)

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
If it works out good It may just push me to buying a new PLIIx receiver to do the same. My current Overhead processor is an old ProLogic Onkyo.

Wes

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Reporting Back!

We hooked up the new Pioneer VsX1014 with it's Surround preamp outs to the Pioneer VSX711 Video 1 L/R inputs. On the 711's L/R surround speaker terminals we hooked up the two Sony bookshelf speakers that are mounted to the ceiling (pointing down) and are placed between the front and rear seating.

I was worried that with the EX/ES engaged on the 1014 the Mono out-of-phase info that I am creating this Envelope channel with would be there. After putting in some LotR and a couple other demo discs we soon found the Envelope channel to be there and working perfectly just as my setup coming from my 5.1 Surrounds.

Soon I will be buying a new EX/ES receiver for my own system, actually I would love to buy two matching EX/ES 7.1 PLIIx receivers to make my 8.1 set up.

I'm still finding more new and older 5.1/6.1 discs all the time that creates correct imaging OverHead channel effects!

Wes

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:
__________________________________________________ ________

...which brings me to my point that I can see how the height channel can play into this because it is matrixed. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Ever since they came out with the rear center channel (6.1 or 7.1) I felt as though the sound would jump to the back speaker from the surrounds, in certain movies. Debated whether to add a height channel, which is a speaker or speakers above the sweet spot. Purchased the Smart Device CS-3X processor sometime back and was doing research to make sure that this would not be a mistake, since I was hesitant in cutting a hole in my ceiling. Asked the question: if anyone had installed the height channel on this forum and there was one person who helped me greatly. Wanted to add this channel because was dissatisfied over how the sound would jump in some instances from the surround speakers when mounted on the side walls to the rear center speaker when a disk was encoded with either the EX or ES (6.1), instead of having a smooth transition (I always called this a hole in the sound). Finally took the plunge and installed a pair of speakers over the sweet spot. Since installing the overhead channel the room has taken on a whole new dimension as far as sound. At times it seems like there are no walls or how would you describe it, it seems like the room is much larger (spacious). The sound transitions smoothly to the rear center now. And yes, it sounds like things are going over your head when the need arises.

I have listened to this setup for over two months playing the movies once again that sounded like the sound jump from the surround speakers to the rear speaker...
__________________________________________________ ________

You're quite right: the height channel is MATRIXED...

Wowee! Finally somebody else is doing precisely what I've been meaning to do for a while now, aided by the Smart Device model CS-3X and extra speakers (in my case I'll be utilizing two rear center channel and two ceiling height loudspeakers). :emoji_thumbsup:

You know, it's awfully rewarding to see that such extreme--but necessary!--efforts yield such phenomenal sonic results, something you're experiencing already!
All the more to renew my efforts in achieving such a lofty (no pun! :) ) goal.

I guess we 'ol gizzards still have "it," he?... ;)

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Just to update:

I did the PLIIx install and it worked great, The 1014 drove all channels except the Overhead channel which was handled by the PLII of the 711. It handled all the overhead separation just like my set up, so the 1014's 7.1 still left the out-of-phase info that the PLII needed to create the new channel.

I have since installed two speakers above my front row seating but am still using a Prologic receiver mono overhead channel. I do like the new speakers compared to the one I had up there.

More and more new movies are bringing this channel alive!

Wes

Yo, guys, this is a great topic. Can I achieve this with my yammie HTR-5890 along with the CS-3X?
yamaha.com/yec/products/HTIB/HTR5890.htm

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Yes, come out of the Yammy's Surround L/R preouts into the
CS-3X, then from the SP1 and SP2 preouts from the Smart to a stereo amp then to the overhead channels.

Try it and let us know what you think!

Wes

SteveLeach

Stunt Coordinator
Very cool topic, anyone care to list a few movies that really shine with this type of setup? The smart device web page linked above listed "We were soldiers". Any others?

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
To repeat myself from a few posts above:

WWS (Worked)
SPR dts (Worked)
Godzilla (Excellent)
LOTR DD (Just OK)
Pearl Harbor dts (Worked)
Master and Commander (Excellent)
Return of the Kings DD (Excellent)
Black Hawk Down (Excellent)
Twister DD (Excellent)

There are others that it works with also. Never have I heard sound effects that did not match, some discs do not put any thing up there.

Wes

SteveLeach

Stunt Coordinator
DOH! I missed your preivous post Wes, thanks. I hate it when that happens.
So how do you go about calibrating this set speakers?

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
You can run the test tones on the main receiver then run the test tones on the Overhead channel receiver, or just do by ear!

Wes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks