"Hedwig and the Angry Inch"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Allred, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    Can anybody who's seen the DVD comment on the video/audio quality as well as the extras?
    Nobody around here had the DVD for rent so I had to settle for crapola VHS.
    Have to say I really enjoyed the flick, the music really kicked ass (was Bowie an influence?) but in the end, it left me feeling fairly sad. I dunno, film's like this really make me feel for the main character....

2. PatrickL

PatrickL Second Unit

This was one of my favorite movies this year, and the disc is fantastic. Keeping in mind that this is a low-budget movie, the transfer is excellent. Had no problem cranking the volume way up for some of the musical segments - the DTS track rocks!

Two of the extras are of very high quality. The most interesting is an entertaining feature-length documentary, "Whether You Like It or Not: The Story of Hedwig," which chronicles the growth of the musical from its earliest days as a club act at Squeezebox in New York, up to the warm welcome for the film at Sundance. We learn, among many other things, that Ally Sheedy played the role at one time on stage (!)

Also, the commentary track (with John Cameron Mitchell and the director of photography, whose name escapes me at the moment) is of the serious, scene-specific type. Since the two talk almost entirely about the nuts and bolts of making the film, there is hardly any redundant information you may have already learned from the documentary. It's a low-key track but very informative, and there's almost never a lull in their conversation.

3. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    In fact, a search of this forum will yield this thread on this very topic.
    (Check out the Search Function...it is quite good these days, thanks to our new kick-ass server.)
    - Steve

4. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    Steve, I did do a search and the thread you gave a link to did not show up, hence why I started this one.
    Another thing, HTF's search acts scewy with me. I can type out 6 words and it says there are less than 2 and the search can't be done. What's up with that?