Hebie Hancock's HEAD HUNTERS multi-channel SACD sounds gimmicky

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rachael B, Mar 16, 2002.

1. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Jun 5, 2000
    Rachael Bellomy
    The multi-channel mix reminds me of some of the really unatural sounding DTS CD's where it sounds like part of the band is behind you, ugh! CHAMELEON started off nicely with the thumping main line coming out of the centre channel, but during CHAMELEON some of the keyboard parts panned around from sides to front, yuck. It sounded all wrong for these keyboard parts to have been in the side channels anyway. WATERMELON MAN suffered from the same questionable remixing as CHAMELEON IMO.

The album only has 4 cuts and it seemed like they didn't put as much effort into butchering SLY or VEIN MELTER.

Despite this, I'd recommend that SACD aficionados get the multi-channel version over the stereo only version of the album. At least the multi-channel disc plays both ways and you can see, err hear, for yourself. If you've already bought the stereo version don't bother replacing it, me thinks. I've been plenty impressed with multi-channel SACD except for this one. The others I've heard are using the sides for reverb mostly and going for "natural sound" IMO. -end of transmission
  2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mar 28, 2000
    Rachael, thanks for the heads-up. I have the stereo SACD, and that fact coupled with your info. concerning the multi-channel mix means that the multi-channel version is not high on my list. Thanks again.
  3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Aug 24, 2001
    Thanks for the heads up, folks. This one is on my list of SACDs to get, so I'll make sure to pick up the one w/ multi-channel, even if it is gimmicky.