Heavy: The Story of Metal on VH1

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Aaron Silverman, May 23, 2006.

1. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Anyone watch this last night? It was much, much better than their usual "I Love The XXX" clip show crap. It consisted of:
    • 10 minutes of Black Sabbath interviews and footage
    • 10 minutes of Led Zeppelin interviews and footage
    • 10 minutes of Alice Cooper interviews and footage
    • 10 minutes of KISS interviews and footage
    • 5 minutes of AC/DC interviews and footage
    • A few minutes on random subjects like Motorhead, Punk, and the NWoBHM, although my one complaint is that they glossed over the NWoBHM way too quickly
    Almost exactly how I would set up a "History of Metal" doc.

Bonus: It's not the 1-hour show that I thought it was -- there's another episode tonight! Hopefully they'll get more into the NWoBHM and talk about Maiden and Priest and such. [​IMG] (Bruce Dickinson and Rob Halford were among the commentators in last night's episode.)

Edit: There are 4 episodes; the remaining three are "British Steel" (tonight at 9 & midnight), "Looks That Kill," and "Seek And Destroy." They seem to focus on the NWoBHM, the '80s hair scene, and everything after that (thrash, nu-metal, etc.).

Also tonight at 11pm is Behind The Music: Guns & Roses.

2. Don Giro

Don Giro Supporting Actor

Don
    Didn't see it on TV, but I think the DVD set came out today. I've got it in my Netflix cue, but I may break down and buy it. The DVDs have a lot of bonus material, such as a 20-minute segment on the Norwegian (church-burning) black metal scene.

Man, I'd LOVE to see an extensive documentary about the NWoBHM, problem is, outside of the well-known bands of that era (Maiden, Saxon, Leppard), it may be hard to track down footage the lesser known groups, if any footage exists at all!

I want to see footage of Diamond Head, Blitzkrieg, Vardis, Tygers of Pan Tang, Bitches Sin, Praying Mantis, Angel Witch, Shiva, and Samson...for starters! What a great era for heavy metal!

3. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    Don, the DVD that came out this week, Metal: A Headbanger's Journey, is a different documentary. It was made by an anthropologist who loves Metal and consists mainly of interviews with metal fans, IIRC.

I plan on checking it out, too.

4. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    Ä döcümëntäry ön thë NWöBHM wöüld kick übër-äss!

5. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

I watched the episode of Heavy: The Story of Metal last night (part 2 I think) and it was pretty entertaining. It mainly focused on the NWOBHM but it tossed in some info about Van Halen and how big they were even in England. I really liked the part about Iron Maiden (a longtime favorite of mine).

I also picked up the DVD of Metal: A Headbanger's Journey yesterday. I had enough time to watch about the first 10 minutes or so last night and it looks to be a pretty entertaining film.

6. Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen Screenwriter

Hearing Janni talk about how much he hated Cherry Pie was pretty depressing. This series has been an excellent watch. Tomorrow seems to focus on the bands that gave metal its edge back like GnR, Pantera and Anthrax. Can't wait.

7. Don Giro

Don

Ooops! and Rats! come to mind. Ooops! because I thought we were talking about the same thing, and Rats! because I missed the VH1 shows. Of course, knowing VH1, they'll be re-running it a zillion times, so I may be able to catch it when they run it all at once...

8. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    The last episode airs tonight. I missed part 2 and only saw the second half of part 3, so I'll be awaiting the reruns as well.

The interview with Jani Lane was almost as depressing (and funny!) as watching him on Celebrity Fit Club. "I could shoot myself in the f*cking head for writing that song!"

9. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

If I am reading VH1's schedule correctly, it looks like the episodes will be rerun over the weekend. Here is the show's main page:

Heavy: The Story of Metal

10. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    Cool. Looks like they're showing all 4 episodes starting at 6 pm tonight, and again at 7 pm on Saturday.

11. Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen Screenwriter

I only caught the GnR and part of Metallica section tonight. I'll have to catch one of the numerous replays.

12. Don Giro

Don
    Not to change the subject or hijack this thread, but I watched "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey" last night, and I highly recommend it to ANY metal fan. The filmmaker really knows his stuff, and packed a lot of good stuff into 90+ minutes. Too bad this guy didn't have the budget to do a Ken Burns-style 10-disc extravaganza, because I could watch this for hours on end. It was interesting to watch an in-depth heavy metal documentary that didn't dwell on Metallica, Ozzy's solo career, or even mention Megadeth.

My favorite parts were R.J. Dio's bashing of Gene Simmons (I wanted about 2 hours on that topic alone), a drunken interview with Mayhem, Alice Cooper's "insights" into the whole look of the Norwegian "black metal" genre, and best of all, perhaps the funniest one word-answer to an interview question (after what must be the longest pause in metal history) by one of the guys in Gorgoroth. Can't wait for Netflix to send me the bonus features.

Thanks for the update on the VH1 shows, maybe I can catch them tomorrow.

13. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    Thanks for the tip, Don! I may have to stop by Circuit City on the way home from work for that puppy.

I caught episodes 3 and 4 of Heavy, and they continued to be excellent. Still only saw a little bit of episode 2, which probably covers my favorite material. Gotta remember to watch tomorrow!

Nobody's mentioned this, but I find it pretty funny that in the same week we get a documentary called "Heavy" and a documentary called "Metal" that aren't directly related! [​IMG]

14. Don Giro

Don

That's what got me all confused in the first place!