Heavy receivers and a/v racks

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marvin, Sep 15, 2001.

1. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    I have a Denon 2700 which, offhand, I think is about 27 pounds and I have it in, I'd guess you'd call it a consumer grade Gusdorf a/v rack. If I were to upgrade, I'd be going to a heavier receiver, certainly over 30 lbs, or maybe over 40 lbs (I think the 4802 is about 45 lbs.)
    I was wondering if people that have these, or similar receivers generally have to buy specialty (i.e. expensive) a/v racks, build their own racks, or is consumer grade stuff (O'Sullivan, Bush, etc.) adequate? Would reinforcing the shelves of one these work, or be necessary?

2. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

You do not need to get a specialty rack for suspending the weight of a higher end receiver which weighs more 40Ibs+
    The only reason to get a nicer rack is for it to look nicer when you put good quality equipment in it. Some suggestions would be to look at Bellogoti and Lovan, Or you could also build yourself a Flexi rack for a fraction of the cost with supplies from your local Home Depot.
    KyleS

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Marvin,
    Gusdorf, like many other manufacturers, uses particle board construction, which easily sags with even moderate weight loads. I’ve been adding support bracing to entertainment centers for years to avoid having to buy high-priced (and often unsightly) heavy-duty shelving units. For a small stack of lighter components (CD player, VCR, etc.) a couple of 1 x 2 braces are sufficient. For heavier receivers, you will probably need at least a pair of 2 x 2 braces. I even used a pair if 2 x 4s once for supporting a television.
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt
    ------------------
    My Equipment List

4. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    Thanks for the responses.
    In addition to the shelves on my unit being made of particle board, they're held up with 2 plastic pegs on each side. Wayne, when you brace the shelves, are you talking about putting 2 2x2 pieces of wood across the bottom of the shelves (fastened either to the shelves or the sides of the rack)? Or do you also need to brace the supports on the side (i.e. use the braces instead of the pegs)?

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I worry just a little about my Bell'Oggetti. It has thin tempered glas shelves. One shelf is holding up an Onkyo 919THX receiver which weights about 47lbs. Another is holding my Pioneer CLD-99 at about 22lbs and Technics DVD-A10 at 19lbs. It doesn't seem to be a problem with the Bell'O.
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    Pat's the best!™
    AIM: PhilBiker
    click on the little green house to see the evolution of my home theater!

6. RyanL

RyanL Stunt Coordinator

They say that my Bell O'getti can support 50 lbs per shelf. They're tempered saftey glass, so they'll actually probably support more than that, but they're officially rated at 50lbs shelf.

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i bought my rack at (of all places) cost-plus. it's made out of some sort of cast-iron-metal-type material. it's prettty darn solid and definitely won't sag...
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.

8. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I tend to favor putting my receiver/amps on the bottom shelf. It's usually a lot stronger than the movable shelves, it allows the mass of speaker wire to flow out onto the floor with minimal drop or obscuring of other components, and since I never actually touch the receiver (because I use the remote), it leaves the upper shelves for things I do interact with (DVD player, VCR).
    Also, living in California the weight on the bottom tends to make the rack more stable rather than putting it up so it can sway in an earthquake.

9. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

10. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

I own a Sanus rack with 5 shelves. It is very capable of handling all my gear. I purchased it last year from http://www.audioadvisor.com

11. DaleB

DaleB Stunt Coordinator

Got the older Bellogetti black metal 4 shelf rack. Racks are perforated for further cooling. Very strong rack, plus ventilation is a real plus for amps and super receivers.
    Only drawback is the cable trough on the back support, it should have been about an inch bigger in area.
    Excellent black finish, never seems to get scratched.

12. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

13. Sujeet Patel

Sujeet Patel Stunt Coordinator

Only problem with this Best Buy rack is that the components won't fit! I have this one, bought it before I got my equipment, and was frustrated to say the least. I have the Denon 3802, and it would fit with about a millimeter to spare on either side, which is less than adequate to cool the unit. Then I got my Samson Amp, which wouldn't even clear the glass door. I ended up putting the receiver on top of the case, and have the Samson on it's side, next to the TV. It does the job for $90, but I would have much rather found a rack that everything actually fit on. Other than that, it's a great deal!

14. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

15. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Eric,
    Cool rack! I got the same one at the Sony Outlet a couple years ago. It's in my studio/office and it's working fine.
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    Pat's the best!™
    AIM: PhilBiker
    click on the little green house to see the evolution of my home theater!

16. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

I strongly recommend that anyone considering moving to separates should stay away from racks that have sides to them. Most amps have large heatsinks on the sides of the components and require airflow. If the rack has sides it will prevent this so if there is a chance you may want to go with separates keep that in mind, just my .02c. [​IMG]

17. RyanMM

RyanMM Extra

Wow! Eric, that is a nice rack for $40, hell from the looks of it, is worth at least double that.

18. David_Schiller

If you don't have separates, but instead have something like the Onkyo 989 (130W at 8 ohms), do you still need an open rack, or can you get by with a closed rack (e.g., Pioneer Elite rack) as long as you have sufficient open space around (and particularly above) the receiver?