Heavy Gear - letterboxed CGI cartoon...interesting. Any DVD in-the-works?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lambert, Feb 16, 2002.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I was surpised to see a Saturday morning "cartoon" on this morning that was letterboxed! And it wasn't Justice League!
    Heavy Gear: The Animated Series is based on the Role-Playing game that DreamPod 9 originated, and Activision has turned into a computer game.
    In Memphis it's syndicated on the UPN station, Channel 30, for Saturdays at 6:30 AM. It's different market-by-market, but tends to fall onto either the UPN or the WB stations, with a few Fox thrown in for kicks.
    It's animated by MainFrame Entertainment (ReBoot, Beast Wars, Barbie: The Nutcracker, Action Man), and looks pretty darn good. It's distributed by Sony.
    Here's the official site.
    What blew my mind about this was that it is letterboxed! I was flipping around this morning on the TV in the computer room, while my wife is pulling a Saturday shift and my son was watching Digimon in the other room. When I saw the black bars, I stopped cold!
    It's not a bad show, and I'll try to catch it a few more times and see more of what it's like. Apparently it's been out since September-ish, and I've never seen it because my son is committed to his Saturday morning line-up on FoxKids. Anyone know if this is coming to DVD? Gord's site (see my sig) doesn't list the show yet, but it might have slipped under his radar. As this is a syndicated job that's only a few months old, really, it's probably way too early to ask for home video. But it would be interesting if this came to DVD letterboxed! [​IMG]

2. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    I have been watching the heavy gear: the animated series since the beginning. I missed a few of the middle episodes.. when they started doing the reruns. its plays on fox where I live at 6:30am.
    I have a site on Actress Sarah Douglas who plays Rickka. www.sarah-douglas.com
    JACOB
    I have heard some reports about the dvd for heavy gear. that it will be letterbox.. not sure how episodes on each disc.. I heard it was going to be a two disc set.

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Jacob, I knew you had the definitive site on Sarah D.; I just didn't realize that was her in that role!
    The DVD news is welcome, especially the letterboxing; thanks for the info.
    Has anyone else seen this show? Like I said, it was REALLY cool for the piece of it I saw. Is it always this good, or did I just happen to catch a well-written show? [​IMG]

4. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    it started off okay and has gotten alot better as the series has gone on.. I don;t know what episode you saw.. they are some really good ones.

JACOB