heavy cotton velvet for curtains

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Shane Morales, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

Where can I buy some? I checked out the big list of links, but didn't see anything. Did a few searches, too.

I have a window and a sliding glass door to cover up. I already have nice theater rods, all I need is the curtains. The Great Indoors has a viable option, but I'd rather make the curtains myself with heavier, thicker velvet. I just don't know where to buy any. Doing a google didn't turn up much.

Any place online that sells theater curtains already made?

2. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

Don't know if you have a JC Penny up there but they have a few and Bed Bath and Beyond also have some curtains. You can also go to the HT construction and interiors area and type in curtains in the search this forum and you will see a lot of suggestions. I was looking a while back but haven't decided what to get yet.

3. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

I picked some up a year ago at Linens 'n Things. I put them in the front of my system behind my monitor, and aside from looking great, they made a HUGE difference in sound quality (they really toned down a very "live" room). I know that you can get velvet curtain at Pottery Barn as well. Although they are very nice, the prices typically are not.

4. JeffHayes

JeffHayes Stunt Coordinator

Shane,

Wow, you want something heavier than those lined super heavy velvet ones at Great Indoors??? That's going to cost a fortune. I was all set to grab the GI ones, but they don't have the red I was looking for. I ended up purchasing some nice crushed red velvet from Hancock Fabrics and am now looking for someone to sew it into drapes. Just remember, you don't necessarily have to go with super thick velvet. Just keep increasing the QUANTITY of the velvet that you use and bunch it up tighter on the rod.

Not sure if that helps.

Later,
    Jeff