Heaven's Gate: back in the skates again?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Dennis Nicholls, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    According to this article, Cimino's Heaven's Gate is coming back, at least for a limited run.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...heavensgate_dc

I never saw it in the public theaters. The DVD version is 3 hours 39 minutes - is that the "shortened by 90 minutes" version? If so, why is Kirk restoring that version rather than the original one?

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

AFAIK, this was never released to theaters.

BTW, the documentary on the making of the film, Final Cut, is excellent.

M.

3. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    The full-length 225-minute cut is very impressive. While not without flaws and certainly overlong, it's the kind of large scale picture that I wish would get made more often today. I saw HG at the Cinema One in New York during its initial run (on what turned out to be the final day, with a sold-out house) and the 70mm presentation was staggering. Sadly, this current re-release is at possibly the least impressive venue in New York for a large-screen spectacle (the Film Forum).

4. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Peter, if it's in 35 you can always book it at the Lafayette if you want.

5. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    It's definitely in 35mm, the FF doesn't have 70mm capability. For my Saturday morning series at the Lafayette, the running time would create a problem with our first-run early matinee, so I don't think I'll be booking it anytime soon. I would like to see it again, though.

6. Randall Dorr

Randall Dorr Second Unit

HURRAY!!!

Heaven's Gate is at the top of the list of films I love that most others hate.

It's doubtful I'll be able to see it on the big screen, but with a restored print, there may be a new DVD on the horizon.

Also, the five hour and twenty-five minute version was just the first rough cut. I'm pretty sure the version at 219 minutes is Cimino's preference.

7. Jim Barg

Jim Barg Second Unit

Jim Barg
    It is the preferred cut, although when Cimino screened the rough cut for the UA brass, he said it would be '15 minutes shorter' (quoted from Final Cut).

Kirk was in Rochester last May to screen the film at the Dryden Theatre, and I'm sorry I missed it. Trying to watch the 219-minute cut on DVD was not worth it - since I have a 13" TV, the spectacle was lost on me and I couldn't make it through 10 minutes. It'd be nice to take a chance on it at a local multiplex... but that'll never happen, sad to say.

Was Final Cut made into a documentary? The book was a fascinating read, and there's certainly enough there to make a really good doc out of it.

8. Paul Linfesty

Paul Linfesty Stunt Coordinator

Yes. It aired recently on TRIO. Along with showings of HEAVEN'S GATE.

9. Jim Barg

Jim Barg Second Unit

Jim Barg

Ah, the reason I was unaware of it... don't have Trio at the house (though I want to, if only because I'm dying to see Spaced). Hopefully Sony/MGM will stick it on the eventual DVD rerelease... thanks.

10. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I'm still confused by the thread title Is there a roller derby in this movie or something? [​IMG]

11. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis

Oh, George, this is proof that you've never seen it. Nineteenth century roller skaters is a sight to see and not soon forgotten.

12. robert galasek

Was there ever any more news on a special edition of HEAVEN'S GATE (possibly including the 2004 documentary "Final Cut: The Making of 'Heaven's Gate' and the Unmaking of a Studio")? I thought the change of management at MGM's home video division caused this to be delayed, in the same way as the special editions of Leone's Dollars special editions were, but has HEAVEN'S GATE been abandoned? Love it or hate it, it is still an important part of film history and deserves a better DVD that the one that exists now.