Heavenly Creatures in Canada finally, but...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Ulmer, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

This has finally come out in Canada in the extended edition, but this has to be one of the worst compression jobs I've seen in a long time. The source looks like it should be amazing, but this was crammed onto a single layer, and as a result is a mess of artifacts on any detailed backround, such as the lawns of Borovnia, rugs, wallpaper... On top of that, we also lost he trailer that is on the US version.

Is the US version dual layer? After waiting for eons for Alliance to release this, I'm pretty disappointed at the QC.

2. Chad E

Chad E Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Alliance Atlantis strikes again!!
    Jeff, thank you for the warning. You have saved me some hard-earned $$$. If someone replies that the US version is dual-layer, this goes onto the list of things that I should order from the US. My wallet doesn't like the extra expense, but it beats buying crap.

3. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

The US disc is not dual-layer but looked very, very nice indeed from where I was sitting.

4. Xavior Smith

Xavior Smith Extra

I just finished watching the uncut widescreen version and I thought the video quality was quite good for a single layer DVD. I did notice some compression in some scenes but overall I was quite impressed. It looked pretty good on my 47" widescreen. Didn't mind that it was only DD 2.0 too.

5. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

The US disc is single layered, although the cover states it's dual layered.
    I ordered it from a Canadian shop (Dv-Depot) myself, but because of the delay, they imported some copies from the US.
    P.S.: I thought it was pretty weird that the subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired actually translated the Latin choir-singing.

6. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Xavior is that the Canadian/Alliance version or the US version?

7. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

To clarify, I thought the source for this was excellent - well detailed, great color and clean. What bugs me beyond end is the amount of compression artifacts introduced, which on my 65 inch progressive set stick out like a sore thumb.

For example, the grass when the girls first discover Borovnia is plagued with very unnatural jumpiness (I frame updates), rather than smooth motion. The red wallpaper in one scene goes in and out of focus in regular intervals, as does detail in rugs or any highly detailed background surface throughout the film.

For a film produced by arguably the year's number one director, could Buenna Vista not spent a bit more time making a great print translate properly with a decent compression job and a dual layer disc? I guess not.

8. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Guess they didn't want Beauty and the Beast to stick out as the worst-compressed DVD they released this year. [​IMG]
    Very similar situation too...great source material and transfer/mastering...just too much compression!