What's new

Heaven ... wow (1 Viewer)

MichaelAW

Second Unit
Tom Tykwer's adaptation of Krzysztof Kieslowski's posthumous script Link Removed (co-written, as usual, with Krzysztof Pieciewicz) opened today in Sweden and I caught it at the Grand Theatre in Stockholm.
Wow.
Amazing film. I'd only seen Lola Rennt before, and quite frankly, wasn't that impressed. I thought it was, ironically enough, Kieslowski-lite, but well directed. The direction in Heaven is top-notch. From the opening to the breathtaking finale, nearly every shot is perfect.
Cate Blanchett was her usual amazing self, but I was most impressed with Giovanni Ribisi, who was convincing as an Italian.
It's scheduled to open in October in the US, and I highly recommend all who are either fans of Lola Rennt or Kieslowski's work to check it out.
In yesterday's Svenska Dagbladet, there was an interview with Tykwer where he said he passed on doing the other two scripts, Hell and Purgatory, which Mirimax also own. I can't wait to see them.
Has anyone else caught this yet?

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Glad to read that you were impressed by it. There doesn't seem to be many people here anticipating the movie, but it's in my 5 most anticipated movies of fall/winter.

~T

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the review. I've really been looking forward to this. I loved Lola Rennt aka Run Lola Run. I also loved The Princess and the Warrior, which I highly recommend. It's great to hear that this film is good.

Does Franka Potente have a cameo or anything? I'll be disapointed if she's not in it at all.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Wow! I didn't even know about this. :b

Cate Blanchett and Giovanni Ribisi in a Kieslowski/Piesiewicz-scripted film directed by Tykwer? I'll be first in line when it opens.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I'm also looking forward to this and will see it when it makes it my way.
If you're dying for a Franka fix you can see her in Storytelling which came out on DVD this week.

MichaelAW

Second Unit
Does Franka Potente have a cameo or anything?
Nope, she doesn't. Except for the two leads, just about every other actor is Italian.

I've been anticipating this film for about five years. I'd heard that Kieslowski/Pieciewicz were working on the Heaven/Hell/Purgatory trilogy when Kieslowski died. Then, in 1998, my brother was working in Miramax's script department, and came upon the script there. Idiot that he is, he didn't copy it for me, he just read through it and said "looks pretty good."

The Princess and the Warrior is next on my must-see list. Is there an R2 DVD with English subtitles?

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'd heard that Kieslowski/Pieciewicz were working on the Heaven/Hell/Purgatory trilogy when Kieslowski died.
I had also heard that they were planning the Heaven/Hell/Purgatory trilogy but I didn't know they had actually finished the scripts. Anyway, I wonder who they'll get to direct Hell and Purgatory? I wouldn't mind seeing Scorsese take a crack at one of them - could be interesting.

MichaelAW

Second Unit
Tykwer was offered to do them, but he passed (as I say above), stating that he felt that Heaven encapsulated the whole trilogy in one film.

I wonder if Heaven doesn't make any money in the US, whether the other two will ever be produced.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I saw previews for Heaven back in January. If I remember, it stated it was coming out in May and then it disappeared. I've been dying for news since then. I hope this does make its U.S. debut within a few months.
Bruce

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
YESSS!!!!!
There was a surprise announcement yesterday morning that "Heaven" will screen at the Montreal World Film Festival next week. I bought my ticket immediately, and now I'm dying to see it. :) :) :)

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
So...I wonder how this is going to relate to when this is going to get a wide release. Perhaps it will make a few festival rounds, get some good word of mouth (if it's got what it takes) and then jump into a full release. I certainly hope so-that might put it in a December release. Either way, I hope you enjoy the festival Michael. You have my envy.

Bruce

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
Thanks, Bruce. All I know is that the film will be released in NY/LA on October 4, and then probably a few more selected cities throughout October (Montreal included).

Roland G

Stunt Coordinator
Heaven is very impressive. I cannot understand why it hasn't gotten bigger exposure overseas.

And about Part II and III ! FORGET IT!

They don't exist. This was a planned trilogy, but only the first part exists in script form. afaik

NOTE: OH...i thought it was already released in the US of A. I saw it on the first of March...here in Vienna

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
I've actually heard that this might run into some release problems in the States, because the film takes a sypathetic view of terrorist/bomber.

Don't really know enough about the film to comment further. Just a small blurb I read somewhere a while ago.

MichaelAW

Second Unit
Ross:
I don't know if it's sympathetic, but...
Cate Blanchette's character does kill three (innocent) people with a bomb she intended for someone else, a drug dealer who she blamed for her husband's death. The investigating police don't believe her story and accuse her of being a terrorist, and try to get her to admit to being one, and to name who she works with/for.

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
First of all, I adored this film!!! I've seen it twice in the last two days and I can't stop thinking about it... I can still hear the beatiful score playing in my head, and I still see images of the film when I close my eyes.
Divine.
There are so many moments in this film possessing deep symbolic meanings, yet I think that this film will be misunderstood by the general audience. It is similar to "The Thin Red Line", in terms of the reactions it will generate from the audiences.
The first half of this film was unbelievable, but the second half was just infinitely beautiful. As soon as Philippa and Filippo escape from the milk truck, the film transcends to a divine level. The two characters are on the train, and Philippa learns that they share the same name and birthday. Then the train enters a tunnel, and there is darkness. Then we see a faint light at the end of the tunnel that gradually brightens. Then they arrive at a church, where Philippa confesses her sins and Filippo professes his love. "I just want the end to come soon."
In the next scene, the two characters shave their heads to symbolize a rebirth, or a "return to innocence". Now, the two characters resemble each other in so many more ways. We are then shown a wedding, clearly symbolic for the unification of the two main characters. A new beginning.
The parallels between Filippo & Philippa and Adam & Eve become more and more apparent. The two are shown in a garden, united under a tree in the sunset. The emotion and beauty in that scene are too powerful to describe. The film concludes with their ascension into heaven, which is the most perfect resolution for the two characters. They have found something. And it is beautiful.
On a slightly different note, the DVD was just released in Germany this week. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait for the R1 version in 2003.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The film opened in L.A. and New York this weekend. I saw it today. I'm not writing a review, because I'm still not sure what I think of it. But it's a unique experience, and one that I'm glad I've had.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks