Heathers

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Matt Stone, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I just bought one off of eBay, and it wouldn't play. I searched the forum and now see that the first version was defective. My question is, does Anchor Bay still have the replacement offer for it? Or am I SOL?

TIA.

2. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I found the replacement disc page @ Anchor Bay's website, but I don't want to send in my disc if they aren't going to send me one back.

The seller is offering me a refund, but I'd rather have a good disc.

3. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

I had one of the defective pressings, but I sent an email to Anchor Bay Entertainment customer service and had a new, corrected disc shortly thereafter.

That was actually the second or third time I had used ABE customer service for various reasons (defective discs or missing/damaged inserts), etc. They've always been very responsive.

Chances are, if the disc is still in print, which I believe Heathers is, you shouldn't have an issue getting it replaced.

4. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Thanks for the response, Paul.

I shot off an email to their general inquiry address to make sure that I'll get a corrected disc back. As soon as I hear, I'll send mine off.

5. Benjamin Ricci

Anchor Bay is excellent when it comes to customer service. I've exchanged three discs with them over the past few years, no questions asked. I always received a replacement within about 2 weeks.

6. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

Are they all defective or just on certain players? I don't remember the original story, but I do have an original version that is still shrinkwrapped.

7. Paul Arnette

This is a difficult question to answer definitively, but, if I recall correctly, I had a Pioneer DV-37 at the time, along with a Sony player, and it did not play correctly on either of them. I wound up taking the disc back to Best Buy, only to receive another defective copy. Finally, replacing the disc through ABE was the route I had to take.

If fact, I believe I remember hearing something about a replication error at the factory, so I would lean toward "all defective", from that pressing anyway.

8. WillG

WillG Producer

Saw this at a used DVD store today and was thinking about picking it up. Is there anyway to identify which disc is the defective one?

9. TimSmith

TimSmith Auditioning

I would like to know this also, anyone?

10. Paul Arnette

I know of no sure way to tell. However, one thing I have noticed about ABE releases is that they appear to have recently switched from plain white security sticker to a highlighter-yellow secturity sticker along the top of their DVDs.

Chances are, and this is by no means a guarantee, so don't hold me to it, but if you buy a copy of Heathers with the highlighter-yellow security sticker, you're going to get a corrected pressing.

11. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

As I recall, the entire first run of Heathers SE used defective lacquer and either didn't play right away or quickly deteriorated into unplayability. Subsequent runs have been fine. ABE swapped mine for me, and as noted since the disc is still in print I expect they'll do right by you too.

12. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Thx for the suggestions guys. I mailed my disc this morning.

13. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Just wanted to update everyone...AB just emailed me to let me know that my replacement disc shipped today. [​IMG]

14. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

I bought Heathers on its release day. First copy froze a lot, exchanged it and got one I could play. Hadn't tried watching it again until last week. Put it in multiple players and it would not play. Checked the data side of the disc, and there was a dark blue discoloration around the edges of the disc and the center. I've sent it for exchange, but impatient type that I am, I went looking for a new copy to watch now. My brother likes the movie so I'll just give him my extra when I get the exchange back.

Anyway, I've seen talk about the repressing having a "version 2.0" on the back of the case, but I have not seen this anywhere. I wound up picking up a copy that played and looked fine. It did have a yellowish security sticker on top. Hopefully most stores have long since worked through their stock of bad copies.

15. Michael Sliger

Michael Sliger Second Unit

Slightly off-topic question here. I just bought an Onkyo HT-S760 home theater system (upgrading from a patchwork Pro-Logic system) and have been testing several disks with it. I was surprised to see my receiver go into DD 5.1 EX mode when playing my Heathers disk since there is no reference to EX in the packaging or menus. Is the disk misflagged (dumping one of the surround channel feeds to the center rear), is my receiver confused, or did Anchor Bay forget to promote this feature?

Oh, I have an original pressing of the anamorphic disk (received a day before the release date from a popular online dealer) and it still plays perfectly. Guess I just got lucky.

16. Zak Hepburn

Zak Hepburn Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I also have a defective Heathers disc and would love AB to replace it.
    However does anybody know if they have an international returns policy or is it just for the Region One costumers ?