Heathers Version 2.0

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joshua E, Oct 27, 2001.

1. Joshua E

Joshua E Extra

Just received a new Heathers standard edition DVD to replace my other defective LE Tin disc. On the back of the disc is the re-assuring "Version 2.0" sticker. Haven't watched it yet, just thought I'd let everyone know about the Version 2.0 release. I got the disc from DVD Planet.

2. Ivan Luk

Ivan Luk Agent

I finally watched the version I purchased at release last week and found the transfer lacking. The disc was also defective, locking up and pixellating at various points in the movie. I took it back to Best Buy and exchanged it.
    Well, the new disc has a much better transfer. Two differences I noticed in the packaging. One, the features sticker that usually is on the shrink-wrap is on the case itself. Two, on the back, there is a white sticker that says, "VERSION 2.0"
    My first disc was defective, so I'm not sure that's the reason why the transfer looked bad? But the second disc plays fine, and the picture is much better (based on my recollection of the first disc when it did work).
    ------------------

3. Christina_DQ

Christina_DQ Stunt Coordinator

I never heard of this problem. Whats the matter with the disc- picture & soundtrack messed up??
    I bought the L.E. tin-mainly because it used the original artwork a few days before release date. haven't watched it yet since i haven't had the time. So i'm not sure if it's alright or not,though i did check out the trailer & documentary, the disc played fine.

4. tyler O

tyler O Stunt Coordinator

Was there a recall or something? Did I miss something? Is this to fix up the freezes and pixellizations (not to mention the DNR?) Please do let us know. Thank you in advance.
    ------------------
    Share and Enjoy - The marketing division of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.
    The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite.
    My DVDs

5. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Ivan, that's weird that they might have used an entirely different transfer-- you would have thoght that if they did that you would have heard more about it.
    Unfortunately, it's been over a month since I got my version at Best Buy and they're unlikely to do anything after thirty days. My copy plays OK, but if it's a better transfer then I'd like to try for an exchange. Does anyone know more about this?

6. Rob Cooper

Rob Cooper Stunt Coordinator

It can't use a new transfer! they'd be really screwing the customer if it did!
    I bought the non-L.E. edition and mine plays fine. The image isn't wonderful but it's not awful. If they did a new transfer on this version 2 they'd have to do a recall or at least let people exchange the disc. Surely they wouldn't change the disc to that extent so shortly after the initial release.
    The Documentary and Commentary are great though!

7. Joshua E

Joshua E Extra

Not sure about there being a new transfer (I kinda doubt it), but then again I never got to watch the movie. The documentary played fine, but the actual movie started breaking up from pixiation during the opening credits and eventually just stopped altogehter. This happened on my Toshiba SD-5109 and both of my Apex players. To be on the safe side, you shouldn't purchase one of these without the "Version 2.0" sticker on the back. Anchor Bay is without a doubt my favorite company, but these defective DVDs are really becoming a pain in the ass.

8. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I have the older THX Heathers (original release?), and the transfer is soft. I think the new release(tin) is the same transfer, just with a tin.
    I have no problems with mine at all.
    I think the folks at THX did some serious grain removal resulting in a soft but decent transfer.
    ------------------
    Sean
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

9. Ivan Luk

Ivan Luk Agent

Whoa--B4 I stir up something I shouldn't, I don't have the first disc anymore to compare. One thing about the first disc for sure, it didn't have a single scratch on the surface of the disc, but if I held it up to the light, it had some weird patterns. The freezing and locking up was probably due to the aluminum(?) layer in the disc not being set corretly.
    So far, I've only played the beginning of the new "Version 2.0" disc to make sure it wasn't defective like the first one. My recollection of the first version may be exaggerated as I was really bothered by the picture breaking up and freezing throughout the first 10 minutes (I didn't go any further)! I could almost swear that the first disc was softer looking, and had more chroma bleed (due to the grain removal process) than "Version 2.0" [​IMG]
    I also don't have the original non-anamorphic transfer to compare with (the new one is anamorphic), but the original was reputedly sharper looking because of film grain.
    I will watch the entire "Version 2.0" later tonight and report back. Can somebody else confirm what I think I saw?

10. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

My Heathers is the THX "Anchor Bay" "enhanced for 16x9"(Anamorphic?) and it is remarkably soft.
    If there is a new transfer that is softer than this I would then be a little disappointed.
    But once everyone gets a trouble free disc(shit happens), let's drop Anchor Bay a thank you note for their efforts in keeping this in the OAR!!!
    In fact I think Anchor Bay should be commended for all the nice releases they are putting out!
    ------------------
    Sean
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

11. rbirk

rbirk Stunt Coordinator

Is there a procedure to get my version exchanged? My version does not work very well at all on my Toshiba 3109.
    Ron Birk

12. Ivan Luk

Ivan Luk Agent

Watched "Version 2.0" all the way through with no problems on my setup (unlike the first one). Some shots seemed slightly soft (I actually prefer that to EE, which was thankfully absent), but I still believe they did something with 2.0 that improved on the "defective" one that I exchanged.
    Now I wished I had taken some screen shots of the old one before returning it... [​IMG]

13. MarkBurton

MarkBurton Second Unit

Is there a way to see if I have the 2.0 disk by looking at the DVD itself? Does it have a new catalog number? Mine plays fine now, but I would hate for the picture to start breaking up in a month or 6 months when I can't exchange it. I would rather exchange it now. I didn't buy the tin, just the regular DVD copy with Veronica on the cover.

14. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

Is there a way to exchange our Heathers DVDs for the new ones ala Opera, or not?! Please let us know, and soon!

15. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

Not to rag on any Toshiba owners but there seems to be a great problem with Toshiba players and Layer changes in general. Maybe this is something you need to bring up with Toshiba. Now as far as the image being soft on Heathers DVD well it's like that on everyones' player that is from the print itself.

16. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

As a Toshiba owner, I have had NO problems with layer changes on the several hundred discs that have gone through that machine. The plant that Anchor Bay used for this recent batch of titles had some problems which affected Opera, Heathers and Suspiria apparently. While it may have shown up more on Toshibas, it was definately a manufacturing defect.
    ------------------
    Zardoz Online | Burt Lancaster is The Swimmer | dOc

17. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

Could someone please answer my above question! Thanks.

18. Joe Vidal

Joe Vidal Extra

I have both the limited tin SE and the regular version (not 2.0) haven't had problems with either (Panasonic player).
    If there was a manufacturing defect it must be evident only on Toshiba players as Jeff said. Also, there is NOT enough time since the original release date (9/25?) to do a completely new transfer with less DNR and remaster it in time for this "2.0" version. This is not like the Spinal Tap subtitle problem or the Leon 5.1 rear channel problem. It would require taking the original elements back into telecine and starting from scratch. The whole process incl. distribution woiuld take more than a month. A manufacturing problem requires much less turnaround time.
    If anybody has any OFFICIAL info it would be of benefit for this thread.

19. Ivan Luk

Ivan Luk Agent

20. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If there was a manufacturing defect it must be evident only on Toshiba players as Jeff said.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Not true at all. There are alot of DVD players that have problems with layer changes. This is not the first time it has happened. What I was saying is that Toshiba DVD players seem to have more problems with layer changes than other brands. I have had problems with some dual layered discs with my Panasonic plam DVD that a firmware upgrade fixed. And if you look at some other glitch threads you will find that Toshiba is almost always listed. Again there are other players that have problems and sometimes it is a disc problem.