Heat Shrink Tubing and Heat Gun?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Graeme Shiomi, May 14, 2001.

1. Graeme Shiomi

Graeme Shiomi Stunt Coordinator

Hi all,
    Going to be getting some Audioquest Slate cable, and I'd like to use heat shrink the bunch of little wires on the ends to make it look a little more professional (hope that's a good enough explanation). However, I have a question regarding the actual shrinking process. Do I need to get a heat gun, or are there other items that would do the job (i.e. items I might actually have handy)? Also, is there much risk to the actual cable itself during the shrinking process?
    Thanks,
    Graeme

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    You can use a hair dryer. A gun with an attachment for heat shrink tubing would be a little better.

3. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Other alternatives- move soldering iron tip close to tubing or use a butane grill lighter to heat it up (keep it moving over the shrink tubing so it doesn't ignite it).

4. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

A good hair dryer should work fine, that's what I use.
    ------------------
    Move on, nothing to see here...

5. Timmy

Timmy Stunt Coordinator

If you want the real thing; go to a local hobby store and buy a "monokote air gun"; used to shrink material that covers up open framework on a model airplane. They sell for under $25.
    They are very close to the correct temperature of a commercial heat-shrink-tubing air gun.
    I have used 1500w hair drying guns too. It works; but is a little slow; and shrink temperatures are not the same for all HS tubing.

6. jimstark

jimstark Auditioning

I bought a gun at Home Depot for about 25 bucks...two settings, 700 and 1000 degrees. Came with some scraping and focusing attachments, but I don't even bother.
    There were others that cost more, but this was cheap, and it gets a LOT hotter than my hair dryer. What I thought was heat-shrunk was really only partially shrunk. The heat gun was worth the minor investment.
    ------------------
    -stark-
    my gear: The Kenefick Home Theater
    my movies: http://www.dvdtracker.com/~jimkenefick