Heat Shrink for Canare LV-77

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ari, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Ari

Ari Stunt Coordinator

I ordered some Canare LV-77 for homebrew cables and I got some 1/4" heat shrink tubing along with it. Apparently, I got the wrong size since the heat shrink is tiny!!

What size heat shrink should I get?? Know of a good online source??

2. if 1/4" is too small and doesn't fit, they you could actually go as big as 1/2" since it is a 2:1 shrink ratio. ...I personally use 3/8" heatshrink

3. Ari

Ari Stunt Coordinator

Ooops!!

I mean my problem is with the mesh sleeve and not the heatshrink. Ordered 1/4" mesh sleeve which looks tiny......tried forcing the coax in but it just shreds apart...

4. 1/4" fits my triaxial cable..you just have to be carefull. you will get some fray, but you can cut that off.

5. Ari

Ari Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the tip.

Would it be worth my while to singe the ends of the braided sleeve with a soldering iron to prevent it from fraying??

I would hate to have wire with a fraying sleeve. Am I being anal??

6. here is what I do. I'll try and discribe it

1) cut an extra 2" of heatshrink that will fit over the braided jacket covered cable.
    2) slide the piece over the braided jacket a few inches.
    3) insert your cable into the braided jacket.
    4) when the cable is in about 1/2", the cable will start to fray a bit. At this point, slide the heatshrink over the fray to get it back down and keep it from fraying.
    5) slide the jacket over the rest of the cable and trim the extra fray.

hope this makes sence

7. Bryan_G

Bryan_G Agent

off topic

I haven't ever used mesh sleeves so I can not help, but I am interested in it. Can you tell me where you ordered it from?

thanks

-Bryan

8. Rob Lloyd

Rob Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

I got my flex stuff from Markertek. The ends go fray a bit but I just cut the end off anyway and cover it with heat shrink tubing. For a single cable I don't think I'll do it anymore unless it's a visable cable or needs extra protection. For combining 2-3 of them, then yes it's worth it to bundle them easily and attractivly.

Rob

9. Clay Autery

Clay Autery Stunt Coordinator

The stuff at Markertek SHOULD be TechFlex...
    The "regular" TechFlex should be cut with a hot knife to keep it from fraying.... Otherwise, yes... hit the ends with a lighter/torch to stop the fraying...
    1/4" TechFlex should EASILY cover a single run of LV-77... It should go up to at least just over 3/8" in diameter cable... just requires more to cover a given length run...
    I used TechFlex for the forst time to bundle my 3-run L-5CFB component cables... I love the stuff! [​IMG]

10. Ari

Ari Stunt Coordinator

You guys were right.....the techflex does fit over the LV-77 fine.....

What size techflex do you use for bundling together a pair of the LV-77's.....

11. ChrisB

ChrisB Stunt Coordinator

I started using the silver tech flex, here is a pic-
    cable