Heat Pro's and cons..

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DeathStar1, Jun 23, 2003.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

FINALLY some nice weather that's in my wheel house. However, with the heat comes a few cons as well. Am I the only one who gets tired, wether standing around, or walking in the heat?

Heh, I just got back from the Boardwalk for a nice little 2 hour walk. I find my reactions getting sleepier by the moment as I got farther along in the walk. Thankfully they have bathroom stalls with water sinks that can help wake you up a bit.

Anyone else like this?

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    ...or you can just jump in the ocean! [​IMG]

yeah, it's a scorcher out there but then tomorrow and wednesday it's supposed to be even warmer.

I get lightheaded alot just from working in an office that's like a refridgerator and then going outside when it's 85deg+.

I usually bring a light jacket inside so I don't freeze so when I go out, it usually hits me like a jackhammer... kind of like an ice cream brain freeze.

After a short while it starts to go away though.

Jay

3. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I get heat exhaustion very easily. If it's hot out, I usually get light-headed. I was walking back to work from lunch today, and I felt kind of woozy (like I was drunk or something) because the sun was beating down on me.

...or maybe it was the 4 beers I had? No, seriously...Heat and me do not mix well at all!!!! I always get migraines if I do anything strenuous out in the heat [​IMG]

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Heat just needs to stop. It needs to be 65 all the time. Anything more than 75 is way too hot

5. James E

James E Stunt Coordinator

Jeff, i agree, but somehow it reminds me of a Batman movie[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I'd prefer cooler weather myself. Think of it this way: With all the HT equipment we have, you WANT it to be cooler outside, otherwise how will you keep that new projector cool? [​IMG]

7. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

I am 100% serious when I say that heat GREATLY affects my mood and disposition. I despise the summer months (which are sweltering here in Houston) and as a result I know I am more irritable, cranky, and sometimes even more likely to get depressed. Bring back autumn and winter! Even though we do get hot weather during autumn occasionally (winter too, sometimes). [​IMG]

8. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I'd prefer cooler weather myself. Think of it this way: With all the HT equipment we have, you WANT it to be cooler outside, otherwise how will you keep that new projector cool? [​IMG]>>>

Heh, true. But despite how heat makes me react, I'm generally in a better mood when it's warmer. It especailly means I get to spend more time down the Jersey shore where I am currently. New 1 year old house with proper cable wiring is better than 40 year old house any day of the week [​IMG].

Only thing I don't like is how I tend to slow down, reaction wise during the heat. Makes it look like I'm sleepwalking. For instance, during the walk today, I started to get a bit pooped, and almost bumped into a few people due to slower reactions. Or looked at people too long and got strange reactions back untill I realized I was staring, heh.

Or worse yet, when a few cute beach girls where nearby, I'd accidentally trip over myself a few times making me look a bit awkward, heh. I'm much more composed in cooler weather [​IMG]...

9. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

I like cold weather. I work in what ever temp it is outside. So in the winter time I can work hard to stay warm but in the summer you are hot if you just stand there or work your butt off. I want to move to Colorado when I retire.

10. Andrej Dolenc

Andrej Dolenc Stunt Coordinator

Obviously I'm in the minority here, but after the seemingly continuous clouds and rain that have blanketed the east coast, I say BRING ON THE SUN AND THE HEAT!

It felt great to get sunburned on a bike ride sunday afternoon.

Andrej

11. MarkHastings

Andrej, being sunburned is not what I'd consider a "Pro" for heat. [​IMG]

12. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Obviously I'm in the minority here, but after the seemingly continuous clouds and rain that have blanketed the east coast, I say BRING ON THE SUN AND THE HEAT! >>>

As stated before, despite what the heat does to my senses, I'd have to whole hartedly agree [​IMG]. Although, I do wish a nightly Thunderstorm would come in to liven things up a bit. We had a REALLY bad one last Saturday, where the humidity was 90, the temp was 90, and no wind whatsoever. Even the water in the plumbing was heated.

There was a really bad lightning strike every 10 seconds wich made the storm fun to watch, but also meant I couldn't watch the Future Spinning planet episode on Voyager [​IMG]...

13. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

I prefer the cold, but not too cold. Australian winter is okay (about -3 Centigrade).

14. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

This is the kind of fascinating conversation I have had to put up with at work every fucking day this year.

--
    Holadem

15. Scott L

Scott L Producer

75 or even a little hotter is fine with me as long as there's a breeze.

16. DavidMich

DavidMich Stunt Coordinator

The heat index, that is, wher they factor in the humidity, is at or near 105 degrees here today. (And the temperature is only about 93......

All you people who think it's hot where you are have never spent a summer in Texas!!! Just try to imagine it being over 100 degrees for 30-60 days in a row!!!

People die around here because of it!!!

Best thing:
    Hang around the local beach (lake or ocean) watching bikinis, and jump in the water to swim/ski/wakeboard/etc...
    And remember:
    The hotter it is, the colder the beer seems!!!!

17. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

18. MarkHastings

19. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

30 below windchill maybe, I've never heard of it hitting -30 ambient in CT. It does however in North Dakota, I've walked to tests in -30 with -50 windchill before.

20. MarkHastings