Heat needs a special edition

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Lebowski, Sep 2, 2001.

1. Jeff Lebowski

Jeff Lebowski Auditioning

why is warner brothers so stupid, first the goodfellas disc and now this final insult. heat is a great film that deserves a 2 disc SE. i know that theres at least 17 mins of deleted scenes for this film since Micheal Mann offered to put in the extra footage for the network premere. and they could make a commentary track with De Niro, Pacino and Mann. now that would be great

2. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

I would not call Warner stupid for not making this into an SE. The current disc out now, was released before studios really started doing the 2 disc thing. With the length of this film any extras would have to be put on a second disc though.
    A director's cut in the future may be an option, but I distinctly recall that Mann was not a big fan supplements/commentaries.
    J
    ------------------
    Don't be a luddy-duddy! Don't be a mooncalf! Don't be a jabbernowl!

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

4. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

I'd too like to see a SE of Heat, but that'll most likely never happen. As others have pointed out, Michael Mann is not a fan of extras and prefers to have the movie speak for itself.
    However, he has released director's cuts of Thief, Manhunter and Last of the Mohicans, so I wouldn't rule out of the possibility of an extended version of Heat coming out in the future.
    As for the commentary: Mann has only--to the best of my knowledge--done one commentary track, for Thief...I haven't heard it, so I don't know how well he does with commentaries (or whether he'd want to do it again).
    Pacino has never done one, and De Niro...well...frankly sucks when it comes to audio commentaries. I get the feeling he's not one to sit around for a few hours and talk about his craft or crack jokes Ben Affleck-style. I think he'd rather let his acting do the talking.
    Still though, I'm happy with the current DVD, but if a director's cut comes out in the future, I'd be first in line to buy.
    PS...I'm sure you've been asked this before Jeff, but is that honestly your real name? [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
    ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

5. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

The video on this DVD is terrible! I never even noticed until this year. I was reading complaints about this disc at the AVS forum and found it hard to believe. Then I played it and in many scenes (most being in the later chapters) it looks like bad cable TV. I even went out and bought a new copy and the same thing. [​IMG]
    Jeff

6. Mark E J

Mark E J Second Unit

I agree with Jeff, the picture on Heat is awful. The old LD looks cleaner. However I'm not sure I want a director's cut since it seems that Mann likes to remove more scenes than he adds.