Heat level of a DVD when removed from a player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Hughes, Oct 16, 2001.

1. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    Hello all. As some of you may know, I have some concerns about RSDL discs that used to work, but do not work any more. All of my DVDs are very well cared for, never loan, removed from the hub very carefully, always clean, etc.
    I have had a number of discs go bad that used to work, with Gladiator being the most recent. My guess is that the layers are slowly seperating.
    I have noticed that most DVDs seem to be rather warm (but not hot) when I remove them from my player. I have the Sony DVP-S3000. Could this be melting the glue that holds the layers together?
    I'm just wondering how other peoples discs feel when they remove them from whatever kind of player they have.
    Thanks.

2. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    Since I have only watched most of my 200+ DVD's only once, I haven't had this problem.
    I did bring up the issue with WAMO some time ago and they stressed that they currently run various tests on DVD's including subjecting it to extreme heat. They wouldn't specify the term "extreme" as they weren't even supposed to be talking about this issue with me... but they all but assured me that the heat from a player will NOT cause separation.

3. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I also have a Sony DVD player and have noticed some HOT discs... I have never had a problem with a disc though.
    ------------------
    Robert Lutter

My DVD Collection
    The DVD Insider Software Reviewer (Coming Soon!)