Heat Issues

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jack Sampson, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Jack Sampson

Jack Sampson Stunt Coordinator

I just wanted say this is a great forum. It has helped me alot in setting up a budget HT. Anyway you probably guessed from the title that I have questions regarding heat. I have an Onkyo 573 receiver and a Sony DVD player sitting on top of it. My components are in a tv stand with shelves and this seemed like the best way to do things. I have the DVR on the top shelf and storage for cd's, dvd's and movies on the bottom. I have noticed that the Onkyo runs pretty hot. The dvd player is probably contributing to the heat also. Anyway I really don't want to change the layout unless neccessary. Does anybody know of maybe some riser feet I could put on the dvd player to raise it up a little? Think this would be enough. So far I have had no problems but I am thinking of longevity.

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Home Depot probably has stuff that's made to go under wood table legs, etc., that may raise it up a bit. You could also cut small pieces 1x2s or 2x4s (and paint them if you wish.

3. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

I'd go with the 1x2"s also.

Leo

4. Jack Sampson

Jack Sampson Stunt Coordinator

Cool I'm in home depot all the time and never thought of it. Thanks....

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Leo’s and Phil’s suggestion will help keep the Onkyo cooler, but it’s still dumping all its heat directly into the DVD player, which will probably shorten its life. That’s what happened to the VCR I had sitting directly above the receiver a number of years ago.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Yes, you should re-arrange. Here is my suggested formula for rack-layout:

- Put the reciever on the lowest possible shelf. This lets the speaker wires flow out and away from the non-powered interconnects and makes hooking things up easier. This also gives the heat from the reciever a larger space to flow into.

- Above the reciever, put devices you never touch to use. This includes Sat box's, Cable box's, etc.

- Above this, put devices you interact with like DVD, CD players, Game systems, so you dont have to stoop to use them.

- Pull the AC power cords to one side of the rack in back. You want to keep them away from the interconnects.

- Let the interconnects hang loose down the middle of the rack. If you want, loosly bundle them with velcro straps or "wire loom".

- Store the media somewhere else. I have a small "Lawyers Bookshelf" with glass doors that holds about 100 DVD's near my equipment rack. The over-flow disks are in a bookshelf in the other room. There are LOTS of solutions for storing media. Leave the equipment rack for ... equipment.

Even with this advice, my rack gets hot in the summer time with the reciever and HD-PVR from the cable company. I have a small $15 AC fan with a clip from the drug store connected to a shelf in back. On hot days, I just turn the thing on low to blow cool air over the heat-generating receiver and PVR.

Hope this helps.