HEAT is available in DTS DVD!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by YANG, Jan 29, 2002.

1. YANG

YANG Second Unit

2. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

A Panavision film with an aspect ration of 1.85:1. I don't think so. Give me 2.35:1 and a perfectly adequate Dolby Digital track any day.

3. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I agree with Julian. Also, I would appreciate more detail in the title specifying that it is not Region 1. Thanks.

4. Gareth Flynn

Gareth Flynn Stunt Coordinator

As much as I like DTS, OAR is a lot higher on my list of priorities when I buy a DVD.

5. Jerry Gracia

Jerry Gracia Supporting Actor

Oookaaaay...

6. John DeLuca

John DeLuca Stunt Coordinator

I'll keep my R1 version. The comparison picture in the review just made up my mind right there. Sure, the sound might be great, but there's alot chopped off the sides of that picture.

7. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

I agree with Gareth. OAR is much more important to me than sound. Granted I would love to have this movie in an explosive DTS track but thats what fantasies are for. Also being that this is a Region 0 disc it leads me to suspect it may be a bootleg.

8. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

Its not a bootleg DVD.

The disc is distributed by Bitwin. A Korean distributor who prefers to not include a region code on their DVDs. Bitwin also distributes Belphegor: Phantom of The Louvre & La Apartment.

The only reason I do not want to pick this up is due to the cropped AR on the dts disc.

9. Chad B.

Chad B. Second Unit

I own the Korean release and while I hadn't heard of the improper aspect ratio issue until it was too late to cancel my order, I can say for certain that the dts track rocks!

10. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus Supporting Actor

Roger Mathus
    I also own this Korean disc. Actually it is a 2-disc set. Both are anamorphic and dual layer. The first disc is DD5.1 sound and a 2.35 aspect ratio transfer. The second disc is dts and 1.85 aspect ratio. I have found Bitwin products to be of consistently very good quality. I only wish they had paired the dts with the 2.35 aspect ratio video.

11. Gareth Flynn

Gareth Flynn Stunt Coordinator

12. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    Indeed it is bizarre. If the movie is going to be letterboxed, why not the proper aspect ratio? I would have purchased this in a heartbeat had it been OAR.

I'm curious though--how does the DTS track compare to the DD track on the laserdisc? I have both the LD and DVD and the sound on LD is incredible and noticeably better.

13. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus Supporting Actor

Roger Mathus
    Not so strange. 16x9 TV sets are likely more common in Korea than in U.S. as they have been marketed for several years. There are some 16x9 set owners who do not like black bars and want the picture to fill their screen. I think that the OAR issue will live well into the 16x9 era. The majority of widescreen titles releaed in Korea, however,seem to be OAR from what I have observed.

14. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

It is odd, though, that they used the DTS track with the pan and scan version of the film and not the DD track, if they were concerned about consumer complaints. I would have thought vastly more people would be able to watch a DD version of the film than a DTS version, given you need a DTS decoder to listen to the latter. You'd think someone with a high end audio system would be more interested in the OAR. Very wierd, particularly as this is a pan and scan not open matter version of the film, as it was made in Panavision not Super 35.

15. Michael St. Clair

Black bars compress easily, hence it makes more sense to put DTS on the 2.40:1 disc, there will be more room at the same picture quality!

16. Marty Lockstead

Marty Lockstead Second Unit

Figured it was time to update this old thread with some new information. www.thedvdetective.com has a listing for an R2 dts edition that is anamorphic, unfortunately, I can't tell what the aspect ratio is by looking at the back cover of the photo they show. But isn't there a special edition coming out soon on R1 sometime this year?

17. Moz

Moz Agent

Hi,

I've got the R2 Japan version, witch feature a stunning 2.40 frame and offers a DTS track.

I 've tried my old LD with this wonderful DOLBY DIGITAL track and i must admit that the new japan DTS version is not better !

It felt a bit front heavy and less opened in fact... in comparison.

As a result i would tell, keep your LD, it's a winner !!!

Compared to the DOLBY tracks existing on the different DVDs around the world, this DTS track is on par with those, maybe a bit more detailed and fuller.

18. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

The SE in R1 won't be in DTS. WB isn't doing DTS releases in R1 any more.
    IMHO It's pretty pointless to compare an LD track to a DVD. I have never heard an LD track that was worse than a DVD. [​IMG]
    You'd be better off comparing this with the DD track on the current DVD which is, again IMHO, worse than this DTS track.

19. Peter Svensson

Peter Svensson Second Unit

20. Moz

Moz Agent

Hi guys,
    My point is that the LD track (dolby 5.1) is a bit better than the DVD R2 track (DTS) witch is better than the DVD tracks (dolby 5.1) of any Regions [​IMG]
    CraigL... it seems important to me to notice that some LD tracks (bought years ago !) sound better than todays reissues !!!