Heat/Humidity effects

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nathan Patrick, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Nathan Patrick

Mar 30, 2000
    I am leaning heavily to picking up the Onkyo 696 tomorrow to replace my current receiver. Currently, I live in an old house with my roommates (college student) and have my theater downstairs in a room that can get very very warm and humid. I don't want to open the windows because there are no screens, and there is no air conditioner in that room. I would imagine the room can get up to 90 and above pretty easily. So my question is how does the humidity/heat affect my equipment. Should I be concerned? The alternative option would be to move all my stuff up to my air conditioned room but I don't necessarily want to take all that stuff away from my roommates. I also don't want to have to replace a $600 receiver right after a warranty expires because the heat/humidity wore it down after time. I appreciate any of your opinions. I also realize that most electronics run hotter than the air temperature anyway.
  2. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Feb 27, 2001
    Rich Travale
    Since you are providing the theater, get your room-mates to pitch in for an air conditioner. It will make watching movies much more enjoyable as well.
    "A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
    My Website
  3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Nov 1, 1998
    Have plenty of air space around the receiver, set it up on blocks so it sits more than an inch above the shelf, that will improve air circulation to keep the internal temperature not so high.
    If the room gets damp in winter, you will need a dehumidifier. Note that a dehumidifier innards is the same as an air conditioner innards. You can use a window air conditioner as a dehumidifier in winter by removing it from the window and putting it in the middle of the room, but not vice versa. All AC's and dehumidifiers drip water; if you use an AC to dehumidify in winter, tilt it slightly so you can catch the drips in a bucket.
    If the room gets damp consistently, mold can develop inside components and metal parts can rust. Mold can cause short circuits in electronics.
    I second the idea of getting your housemates to chip in for an AC.
    Other video hints:http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm
    [Edited last by Allan Jayne on July 27, 2001 at 05:21 AM]