Heat from hot component damaging other devices

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Mike_J_Potter, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Mike_J_Potter

Mike_J_Potter Second Unit

I installed a HD tuner yesterday that seems to like to run fairly warm. After test configuring it sitting on top of my directTv receiver I noticed that it warmed up the entire sat receiver also even though it wasn't powered on. Is this something to worry about, could it possibly damage another component from the radiated heat? I was able to rearrange my entertainment center a little bit and gave the HD tuner a seperate shelf with room on top for it to cool for now, but I know I will expand it in the future.

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

from what i've read, heat is never a good thing for electronics. if your gear is dusty, that just makes it even worse.

i would say, if at all possible, keep some airflow between the components.

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

I am thinking that, with an entertainment system that is open both front in back, having the component sit on its own feet on a shelf with two inches clearance on sides and top should provide enough ventilation. If two components are one on top of another (no shelf in between) and both are "hot", have at least three inches in between them.

(Some persons on this forum have suggested more clearance)

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Ventilation, my child!

Until electronics with 100-percent operating efficiency are developed, heat is an unavoidable byproduct of consumer-electronics devices. And your first weapon in the battle against death-by-heat is ventilation.

Too many newcomers seem to think that all their fancy new equipment must somehow be made to fit inside an ill-fitting "entertainment center."

Throw the thing out and start all over again, if protecting your hardware investment is important to you. There should be maximum airflow in and around all your components. And that means, despite all the sexy, four-color magazine ads to the contrary, no stacking of components directly on top of each other.

And if you have an enclosed cabinet, keep its doors open when operating your system.