1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Heat from HK 520 when only used as Pre/Pro?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by chung_sotheby, Sep 11, 2002.

1. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

I am seriously thinking about this receiver as a pre/pro for my system, as I am going to hold before I spend $2k+ on a dedicated seperate pre/pro. But what I need to know is how hot the unit gets when the internal amps are not being utilized, as the rack space which I have to fit it in is only about 8" high, and if the unit gets too hot when it is used as only as a pre/pro then I will have to look for another alternative. If anyone who used the 520 only as a pre/pro could help out with any information, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

2. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Can't help with the 520 question but you will probably need 3 or 4 inches above MOST any prepro (receiver or seperate prepro), regardless of if you use the internal amps. They would still have power supplies that require heat disapation. The 520 is a tall receiver. Will it even fit in an 8" high space?

3. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Hello Chung,

I have the 510 on a shelf space that's 7.75" top to bottom but open front and back. The 510 has run in this minimal overhead clearance space both as a receiver and now as a pre/pro. No problems either way. I've even taken to now running the center off the receiver as it eliminates the last of the hum I got when I added the Parasound 855A into the mix. Again, no temp problems.

4. Leo_P

Leo_P Second Unit

Hey there chung,
    I'm using my 520 as a pre/pro hooked up to a Rotel RMB-1075. The 520 doesn't get as hot as it used to, when I was using it's amps, but it's still warm. Actually, it runs warmer than the Rotel. BTW, I have my 520 in a space 9.5" high by 19" wide, it's open in the back and I usually keep the glass doors open in the front, when in use. Never had a problem with heat.
    As far as a pre/pro, the 520 does a pretty good job. My only gripes are that it doesn't have a 12V trigger and there's a very small amount of crosstalk between inputs.
    I'm definitely going to HAVE[​IMG] to get a dedicated pre/pro down the road, but for now the 520 will do nicely.