Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Matt Hough

Heat: Director's Definitive Edition Blu-ray Review

heattop2-1024x424.jpg

Michael Mann’s Heat may concern cops and robbers, but its richness in character exploration and the vividness of its action sequences take it far into another realm of action picture.

[review]
Read more.

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I was lucky enough to see the private screening of Heat (Directors Definitive Edition) this past week in Westwood Village with Michael Man. It was great being able to see the awesome movie on the big screen again.

20170502_225809.jpg

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I was lucky enough to see the private screening of Heat (Directors Definitive Edition) this past week in Westwood Village with Michael Man. It was great being able to see the awesome movie on the big screen again.
I remember seeing the movie in the theater when it was first released and the sound was so loud that my ears were ringing the next day like I had been at a concert.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I pity anyone, that have to sit through a teal & orange fake darkness mess like this new version. :eek: You couldn't pay me to do it.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I pity anyone, that have to sit through a teal & orange fake darkness mess like this new version. :eek: You couldn't pay me to do it.

This movie has been restored and remastered and will be in stores soon. And what I saw at the theater looked great so not sure what your talking about unless there was an issue with the previous blu-ray release. I did not notice any teal or orange issues during the screening I attended.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This movie has been restored and remastered and will be in stores soon. And what I saw at the theater looked great so not sure what your talking about unless there was an issue with the previous blu-ray release.
Dave,

Did he answer any questions about a 4K release?

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Even the old comparison review on dvdbeaver show quite a big difference, from a rather normal looking picture to the current and industry hip trend of teal/orange post-production craziness. I expect this new release to be similar or probably worse, at least according to some views I've heard.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Dave,

Did he answer any questions about a 4K release?

This was something I was interested in finding out as well. In the Q&A there was someone sitting next to Michael Mann asking him a bunch of questions. I assume these where questions that where pre approved and discussed prior to the event. The Q&A was held after the movie and after those questions where asked the opened it up to a limited number of questions as it seemed that Michael wanted to be done by a certain time or that the venue wanted to be closed down by a certain time. But to answer your question that question was not asked and I did not have the opportunity to ask if it was going to get a 4K UHD BD release. One guy that was chosen to ask a question did not actually ask a question as he felt it was ok to actually pitch a idea to Michael Mann which actually annoyed many in the audience. I wish I could have asked that question or at least someone that was chosen would have asked that question.

Heat is listed on bluray.com as a upcoming 4K UHD BD release even though there is no actual release date posted so I hope that this title will hopefully come out before Christmas this year.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Heat-4K-Blu-ray/162890/

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Even the old comparison review on dvdbeaver show quite a big difference, from a rather normal looking picture to the current and industry hip trend of teal/orange post-production craziness. I expect this new release to be similar or probably worse, at least according to some views I've heard.

You're aware this disc is a totally new transfer, correct? Until you have some actual evidence on what the new transfer looks like, perhaps listen to the people in this very thread that have actually seen it first.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Am not trying to play devil's advocate or anything, but there really are some justified concerns about the way this latest remaster has turned out. The new BD has been available for over two months in the UK and the US's will likely be identical in every way. There's a similarly glowing review of it here and a mammoth thread on it here. I've somehow managed to never see Heat yet and wanted to find out which version to buy, so have read the whole lot. Basically, there are gains and losses over the old release. Gains seem to be largely a matter of opinion, but losses definitely include significant cropping on all four edges and much, but not all, of the film receiving the dreaded teal treatment. Just check out captures 8, 9, 11, 12 and 13 over at Caps-a-holic.

As I said, I had no prior experience of this film and when I started reading up on it I thought buying the latest BD would be a no-brainer. However, after digesting the above and various other threads and reviews, I've opted to go for the original release.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Am not trying to play devil's advocate or anything, but there really are some justified concerns about the way this latest remaster has turned out. The new BD has been available for over two months in the UK and the US's will likely be identical in every way. There's a similarly glowing review of it here and a mammoth thread on it here. I've somehow managed to never see Heat yet and wanted to find out which version to buy, so have read the whole lot. Basically, there are gains and losses over the old release. Gains seem to be largely a matter of opinion, but losses definitely include significant cropping on all four edges and much, but not all, of the film receiving the dreaded teal treatment. Just check out captures 8, 9, 11, 12 and 13 over at Caps-a-holic.

As I said, I had no prior experience of this film and when I started reading up on it I thought buying the latest BD would be a no-brainer. However, after digesting the above and various other threads and reviews, I've opted to go for the original release.
The cropping is minimal and isn't a factor when watching the film. The sound re-encode is significantly better on the new release.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I am keeping my current BD even if this new one blows me away on Tuesday. Why? Because I have seen my old BD so many times that is has imprinted in my mind as *the way the movie is.*

Expectations high but withholding judgment until I see it Tuesday.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I also have the original WB blu-ray release so I am content to wait for the 4K UHD BD release!

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I just watched it. If I had it to do over, I'd wait for the BD mastered from 4K. I mistakenly thought that's what I was buying.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks