Heat and receivers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob_J, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Rob_J

Rob_J Stunt Coordinator

To save some living room space, and for asthetics, I moved my receiver, vcr and dvd player into my enclosed tv stand. The receiver is on top, as I figure it would be generating the most heat and would affect the other components less.

There is about 1.5" from the top of the receiver to the roof of the cabinet. Is this enough space? Do I need better ventilation? The top of the receiver is quite warm, but this might be normal. I have not noticed any sideffects (aside from the pain of hooking it up) from moving it into the stand. I'm just wondering if anyone else has done this, or if it is a bad idea. Will my Sony STR-DE845 overheat, or does it have thermal protection?

Thanks for your input everyone!

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Is the stand open in the back? If so just normal convection and air currents may suffice. I have my H/K 510 on the top shelf under my TV with only a 2" top clearance or so open front and back. Everything has been fine.

I also have an 855A amp on the bottom shelf...behind wooden doors but open at the back...with another 2" top clearance...no problems whatsoever.

Most will say follow the manufacturers recommendation on this but you have to realize that their recommendations are largely based on heat output for extended peak levels which have greater demands.

If by enclosed cabinet you mean closed at the back except for wiring holes and glass front doors then yes, I would say you need better ventilation. Mount a fan in the back.

Just my $0.02

3. David Berry

David Berry Stunt Coordinator

I would agree with Paul. If your receiver has at least somewhere to dissipate the heat, possibly in the back, I would not be overly concerned. I would be concerned, however, if it is completely enclosed because you will have something similar to a regular oven. Even if you put a fan in there, it will be like a convection oven (that is, if you do not cut a hole out of the back and mount it there). If the back is not open in some manner, open it up to allow the rising hot air to escape. If you are concerned, buy a small fan from Radio Shack with a 12 volt adapter and plug that into the back of your receiver such that when you turn it on, the fan turns on as well. There are numerous threads that deal with cooling fans and hookup/placement.

Good to see another Canadian!

4. Peter Jessee

Peter Jessee Stunt Coordinator

5. Rob_J

Rob_J Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Yes, there is a hole in the back, it is about 2" tall and almost the width of the cabinet. I know it's not huge, but it is at the top, so I think it is helping to allow the heat to rise out.
    I had thought about putting a fan back there, but I was concerned about the noise from a fan. Maybe if I can find a suitably quiet fan, I'll mount one back there.
    For now though, I think I'm going to be ok. With the unit running continuously for fairly long periods, it does not seem to be getting abnormally hot. I had forgotten how hot that receiver really does get, good thing I've got air conditioning here [​IMG]
    I had heard from someone that Sonys shut themselves down if they get too hot. Is this true? Has anyone had experience with this?