Heat 2

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
Title: Heat 2

Genre: Crime

Director: Michael Mann

Plot: Six years before their paths cross, young homicide detective Vincent Hanna grows accustomed to working in the LAPD; whilst criminals Neil McCauley, Chris Shiherlis and Nate become professional criminals.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Well, we wouldn't want to risk the legacy of the original masterpiece remaining intact, now would we. Can't Hollywood at least pretend to entertain original content these days.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
I don't think the magic of the original HEAT can be recreated. But I'd certainly watch it if they made it.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I guess I don't have reverence for HEAT that others do. I fell.asleep watching it and never finished it. It is somewhere in my collection. A sequel/prequel sounds like a bad idea.

YANG

Screenwriter
when the final product comes out... fans would be scratching their head as "Vincent" looked ridiculously older than initial "Vincent".
how old is Pacino now? no matter how much make up they put on to make them younger, their bone and skull structure couldn't be able to reverse in age.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
how old is Pacino now? no matter how much make up they put on to make them younger, their bone and skull structure couldn't be able to reverse in age.
If he's going to be playing the character in the past, I'm sure they will not use makeup. De-aging tech has advanced by leaps and bounds these days.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
If he's going to be playing the character in the past, I'm sure they will not use makeup. De-aging tech has advanced by leaps and bounds these days.
That's very true. But if we learned anything from The Irishman it's that you can't fix how someone walks, throws things, etc as they age. DeNiro throwing a gun into the water looked like how a senior would do it.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Unless I am reading that wrong, Heat 2 is a prequel not a sequel. That being the case, why cast Pacino in this unless he is just part of an intro where he thinks back on his life. He can't play a younger version of himself from Heat at his age now. This makes no sense. Love Michael Mann, love Heat, but why do this? It's kind of like Ridley Scott doing Gladiator 2. Why? Just move on and do another original project.

I have a hard time believing this is something that Mann would want to do.

I have not read his novel that continues the Heat story. Frankly, I was happy with Heat and thought the ending was great.

YANG

Screenwriter
...Love Michael Mann, love Heat, but why do this? It's kind of like Ridley Scott doing Gladiator 2. Why? Just move on and do another original project...
Scott's Gladiator 2 is a sequel that goes into another "generation" where Lucious the kid had grown up. how the story goes will depend on how Scott is going to draw and paint the picture, with a valid concept that makes logical sense.
HEAT"2", IMO, may not named as HEAT2 as the story is confirmed as prequel. like what you had pointed out, PACINO is too aged to revive the Vincent Hanna role even though other members here had referenced to the digital AI touchup re-construction effect with the IRISHMAN...

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Scott's Gladiator 2 is a sequel that goes into another "generation" where Lucious the kid had grown up. how the story goes will depend on how Scott is going to draw and paint the picture, with a valid concept that makes logical sense.
HEAT"2", IMO, may not named as HEAT2 as the story is confirmed as prequel. like what you had pointed out, PACINO is too aged to revive the Vincent Hanna role even though other members here had referenced to the digital AI touchup re-construction effect with the IRISHMAN...

I am a fan of both Heat and Gladiator. One thing I like about them is they are complete stories that do not require anything else. Sure, I love when Scott does period films and creates these ancient worlds. However, if he wants to go back to the Romans, he could do so many other things.

Returning to these stories so many years later with some sort of continuation based off of the previous characters seems pointless to me. I can't see a reason to do it. I will still see both films because I am a fan of both directors but I'd rather see them do something else. I am thrilled with Scott doing his Napoleon film. Sounds fantastic. I don't need him to do more Gladiator or more Alien. Or more Thelma and Louise. I mean come on, do something else.

It's been a while since we got something from Mann, he is a great filmmaker, there has to be some other topics he has an interest in.

YANG

Screenwriter
Mann's forte in own directorial movie production had always been grand scale shootouts and actions. from Last of the Mohicans till HEAT till BlackHat till Public Enemy... with the exception of Collateral, where the "grand part" seems to be limited within a discotheque and upcoming FERARRI staged in race tracks... inevitably.
otherwise, Mann's name is seen in other movies credited as producer.
螢幕擷取畫面 (19).png

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
The novel should be made into a movie. A lot of moving parts and if he does make it the main character would be chris anyway so pacino or driver wouldn't have many scenes and the whole subplot involving Hannas character would be too much anyway. If the rumors are true austin butler would be a good choice to play chris. The mood of the first film and the mood of the novel are completely diffrent.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
The novel should be made into a movie. A lot of moving parts and if he does make it the main character would be chris anyway so pacino or driver wouldn't have many scenes and the whole subplot involving Hannas character would be too much anyway. If the rumors are true austin butler would be a good choice to play chris. The mood of the first film and the mood of the novel are completely diffrent.

The novel is too sprawling and episodic to work as a movie. It's already essentially structured as a 4-part limited series, and it seemed to me that Mann and his co-writer structured it that way because they figured they would have an easier time selling it to a streamer than to a studio.

-Part One: L.A. Aftermath 1995 and Vegas/Chicago 1988
-Part Two: South America 1995
-Part Three: The Border 1988
-Part Four: L.A. (and elsewhere) 2000

Each part follows a three-act structure and could be a 2-hour movie on its own.

I am very reluctant to trust anything posted on WorldofReel, which has a history of posting inaccurate information. Pacino would need to be digitally de-aged for him to play Hanna during the main storyline. The same site also suggests Adam Driver might also be in talks for the Hanna role. That makes more sense, but there's another major role in the book that I can also see Driver playing.

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
The novel is too sprawling and episodic to work as a movie. It's already essentially structured as a 4-part limited series, and it seemed to me that Mann and his co-writer structured it that way because they figured they would have an easier time selling it to a streamer than to a studio.

-Part One: L.A. Aftermath 1995 and Vegas/Chicago 1988
-Part Two: South America 1995
-Part Three: The Border 1988
-Part Four: L.A. (and elsewhere) 2000

Each part follows a three-act structure and could be a 2-hour movie on its own.

I am very reluctant to trust anything posted on WorldofReel, which has a history of posting inaccurate information. Pacino would need to be digitally de-aged for him to play Hanna during the main storyline. The same site also suggests Adam Driver might also be in talks for the Hanna role. That makes more sense, but there's another major role in the book that I can also see Driver playing.
Maybe but mann has maintained it would be a film when asked about it.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks