What's new

Hearts In Atlantis dvd (1 Viewer)

MatS

Screenwriter
though I despised this movie yet loved the book here is some info for those of you who care...
http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-....html#12192001
Another good example of "the new Stephen King," i.e., nostalgic and dramatic with a bit of the supernatural thrown in, Hearts In Atlantis will make its DVD debut on 2/12. Warner will release a special edition of the film, featuring a 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer, English and French Dolby 5.1 surround and subtitle tracks, an audio commentary with director Scott Hicks, additional interviews with Hicks and Anthony Hopkins, a still gallery, and the trailer. Retail is $24.95.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Oh no! I too loved the book, but didn't have a chance to see the movie in the theaters (it came and went, it seems). What about it did you not like?

MatS

Screenwriter
Carlo,

very uninspired acting by the cast, including the usually stellar Hopkins. It just seemed that the characters were reading from pages of the book and I really never felt any conection to them. Also in case you did not know, (I did, before going to the movie) the movie only focuses on the first story of the book 'Low Men In Yellow Coats'.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I did hear that it focused on the first story. I was fine with that because the novel as a whole doesn't lend itself to being made into a film.
But that's too bad about the performances though. Dang, this just got bumped down to rental status for me. :frowning:

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
I just found it funny that the movie "Hearts in Atlantis" had absolutely none of the story "Hearts in Atlantis" (the second story in the collection) in it, thus making the name of the film meaningless. Naming the film after the collection the story is found in just doesn't make any sense. It would have been like naming the film Children of the Corn "Night Shift".

Of course, "Low Men in Yellow Coats" doesn't really sound like a great movie title. Marketing people will be the death of our civilization, I fear.

-Lyle J.P.

Terry H

Second Unit
Roger Ebert gave it 3.5 out of 4 stars and says "...Anthony Hopkins finds just the tired, truthful note for Ted Brautigan--who knows the worst about men and fears for his future, but still has enough faith to believe it will do a kid good to read the right books."
How bad could it be? Full review: http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebert_...09/092802.html

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I never read the book, but I was disappointed with this movie. I just kept waiting and waiting for this movie to "get going" and it never happened. It never reached the level I was hoping.

Jamie Cole

Stunt Coordinator
featuring a 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer
Yikes, I hope not. I remember this movie being 2.35:1 in theaters.

Just for the record, I found it mildly enjoyable, but my review would be nothing like Ebert's love letter. I'm also a Stephen King completist, so I will have to own it.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I'm with Todd! I loved it in it's brief theatrical run and I bought the DVD. I think this is a film that appeals more to women than men, in general... I'm not sure why I think this, just a warm fuzzy feeling, and (!), a dearth of shooting and car chases.

Matt_Marlow

Stunt Coordinator
The title story in the book Hearts in Atlantis would have made a much more effective film, in my opinion. Not because it contains "shooting and car chases", but just because its whole premise was much more believable and, therefore, effective. But (the novella) "Hearts in Atlantis" had no supernatural elements to it all, so that's probably why they overlooked it, since this movie is associated with Stephen King.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks