Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Title: Hearts Beat Loud

Tagline: Music runs in the family.

Genre: Drama, Music

Director: Brett Haley

Cast: Kiersey Clemons, Nick Offerman, Ted Danson, Toni Collette, Sasha Lane, Blythe Danner, Quincy Dunn-Baker, Alex Reznik, Michael Abbott Jr., Harrison Chad, Andrea Morales

Release: 2018-06-08

Runtime: 97

Plot: A father and his daughter form a songwriting team during the summer before she leaves for college.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This is my first time trying to create a thread with the new system we have for the movies forum, so I hope it works.

I saw HEARTS BEAT LOUD tonight, which was just a total blast of joy from beginning to end. It's not the most revolutionary movie of all time or anything, but it doesn't need to be, because it's just so charming. Nick Offerman plays Frank, the owner of a struggling record store whose daughter Sam (Kiersey Clemmons) is about to leave for college in the fall. Because he can't stand the thought of her leaving, he suggests that they form a band together. The title of the movie is also the title of the first song they write together.

I don't want to say very much else because that's pretty much the plot, but it's just tremendously entertaining to watch. Kiersey Clemmons, who I've never seen before, gives a breakthrough performance which will make her a star if enough people see the film. She's just so natural on screen and makes you instantly connect with the character. Plus, her singing voice is incredible.

The rest of the cast is great too. The rest of the "name" stars are Toni Collette as Nick Offerman's landlady, Blythe Danner as his mother, and Ted Danson behind a bar again.

I also think the songs are great, and the title song deserves the Best Original Song Oscar (at least so far.) Whether a small movie like this will be able to meaningfully contend for that is an open question, but I hope so.

Lastly, I would like to advise that if you are already interested in seeing it, you maybe don't look up the trailer. It's not terribly plot-heavy to begin with, and many/most of the big beats are in the trailer, so you'd probably be better off just seeing the movie. If you need to see the trailer to convince you to see it, fine, but if not, skipping it is a better move.

Last edited:
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks