Heart warming story...another reason I love HT

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Bill Bradstreet, Dec 29, 2001.

1. Bill Bradstreet

Bill Bradstreet Stunt Coordinator

This holiday season, we invited a family friend of ours to North Carolina to spend time with us. It has been a special holiday for all of us as a result. This gentleman has been stuck in care facilities or to one room of his house for the past three or four years.

He's kept up on news and current events, but not on entertainment. Yup, that means he hadn't seen a movie until this past week!

We took him to Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, which he enjoyed immensely.

Then, last night, all my family in NC came over for a movie night. It was his birthday too, so we started the evening with a little cake followed by a movie of his choosing.

He chose... Phantom Menace. He sat... in the sweet spot.

I live in a townhouse, and typically don't play movies too loudly, but last night we did. My brother-in-law went outside for a spell and confirmed you could hear a good portion of the movie out there (and all of the bass of course).

It was so much fun watching my 5 & 2 year old nephews watching the pod race. They had a look of wonder on their faces! Truly a special evening for all.

Just one more reason I want to build a dedicated home theater room in my next house!

2. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Well said, Bill.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    That's what HT is all about.

4. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

I hope to start a family movie night sometime soon. A very nice way to make lasting memories. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

That's great!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I just don't think the average TV watcher has a real clue as to how important sound is to the HT experience. Those that know have a very difficult time living without it and constantly wonder how they can improve their HT's.

6. JohnKings

JohnKings Stunt Coordinator

That is a great story - So in-keeping with the spirit of the holdays! Let's face it in the hurried world we live in, the time we have to just enjoy eachothers company is unfortunately limited. The opportunity to sit with loved ones and have our imaginations fired and the feeling of family unity I associate with it are the very reasons I own a home theater. Yes, I am a technophile, but more than technology, I love the closeness I feel with my family when we are all together enjoying ourselves. In life there is nothing better!!

Happy New Year to all!

John

7. Michael Cook

Michael Cook Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG] Times like that are priceless and make all those dollars you spent worth while.

8. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

I'm in complete agreement with all the other comments here regarding the unifying nature of a well designed home theater. It produces benefits and enjoyment well beyond the costs involved.
    Two personal experiences:
    • My wife is currently at home recuperating from very serious surgery (she's doing as well as can be expected for a glioblastoma) and one of the things she loves to do is to watch movies. I need not elaborate on the benefit of a good home theater in this case.
    • My grandchildren (now five of them) run right to Grandpa's Theater whenever they visit and pull up their individual kiddie directors' chairs. (O.K. the 8 month old and the 8 day old can't handle this yet, but the other 3 do!)[​IMG] I get almost as much enjoyment watching them as I do watching the movies (there are some pictures of this on my HT site.) Little Angela, when she was about 3-4 years old, attended her first "real" theater as part of a pre-school field trip. This was a presentation at the IMAX theater at the Liberty Science Center in NJ overlooking NY Harbor. When she was describing her first experience to me she explained, "It was just like your theater, Grandpa!"
    What is it that the MasterCard commercial says?
    PRICELESS!

9. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

Recently in the polls section a question was asked if you would rather watch a movie alone or with others. Personally I like sharing the home theater experience with others. Spread the home theater cheer!

Jon

10. Lanny M

Lanny M Agent

We had the family over Christmas Eve, and my wife received Forrest Gump DVD as her grab bag gift. Later in the evening someone asked to see the HT in action, so I threw in Gump and went to the Vietnam scenes. My Mom say, "Oh, I've seen this movie before!" Yeah, on a VCR through the TV's speakers...
    Everybody jumped when the bullets started flying and things started exploding. Afterwards, my Mom says when she watched it, it didn't have all that sound[​IMG].

11. David Materazzi

We don't have a family movie night. We watch movies most of the time anyways. You know depending on what new movies come out on Tuesdays. But my wife and I and our 3 year old son watch movies together. As soon as new releases are out we rent them or buy them. I also rent movies for my son and he gets a kick out of watching these movies like Shrek, Spirit, Ice Age and next week it's Treasure Planet on my 60" widescreen tv. I had my best friend 1 time and we watched", We Were Soldiers -Mel Gibson. He liked it, that's before I got my widescreen tv and a better upgraded surround sound system.I cranked up the sound and you hear shooting all around the room. I am trying to get him to come over one of these days and watch another movie with me. I know he would enjoy it ,but he wouldn't admit it.

12. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

Yep, the sound is great and trust me, mine sounds awesome, but there's an aspect of HT that many overlook. Has anyone tried going to the movies with a deaf person? My mother was born in 1924 and following a series of childhood diseases was left 99% deaf at the age of two. She has successfully raised three normal healthy boys but has never really enjoyed a movie. Since the death of my father she has come to live with us. Now that most DVD's come with English subtitles, plus the 65" screen she can truly enjoy movies. Even many that she has seen on the little box are like watching for the first time.