Hearing the Musical connections.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by mike_decock, Sep 13, 2002.

1. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor

I just picked up Aimee Mann's "Bachelor No. 2" (pretty good album, BTW), and while I was listening to it, I was struck by how much it reminded me of Michael Penn. A quick flip through the liner notes and I see he plays guitar on many of the tracks.

When Britney's "Oops... I did it again" came out I gave it a listen and first I was struck by how much it reminded me of Abba - That Swedish Pop feel... A quick look through the liner notes reveals that much of the album was produced in Sweden.

One of the songs on "Oops..." also reminded me very much of Shania Twain. I look at the liner notes and whaddaya know, it was written by Mutt Lange and Shania Twain with Mutt doing some background vocals.

For a few years (early '90s) I would be watching TV, and the music in the McDonald's commercials would remind me of Klaatu. Years later, I found out that a former band member was writing jingles for commercials, including McDonalds.

Does anyone make these obscure Musical Connections?

-Mike...

2. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

How well I remember ANDREA TRUE LOVE CONNECTION[​IMG]
    Yes, I do too. I like to find different CDs that can play in sequence on a changer as a "program"
    For example, FAR SIDE OF THE MOON, and DEODATO (with Thus Spake Zarathustra)

3. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

Off the top of my head, if I recall correctly, years ago when hearing 'Opportunities' by the Pet Shop Boys, the percussion beat reminded me of The Art of Noise. Sure enough, after checking the credit notes, a member of The Art of Noise is listed as co-producer (or some other such capacity).

4. mike_decock

5. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit

Hey Mike,
    Aimee Mann is married to Michael Penn and she sings on some of his songs too. They've also done some duets together.

Does Aimee Mann's Bachelor #2 remind of you Fiona Apple at all? I've found the two to be quite similar maybe due to the influence of producer Jon Brion and I swear when I saw them perform on the Late Night shows that they used the same backing band!

6. mike_decock

7. mike_decock