Hearing "static" through speakers when scrolling/resizing etc...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kyle McKnight, Mar 1, 2003.

1. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Anyone know why, after my computer has been on for a few hours, I can start to hear a static noise through my speakers when I scroll, resize windows, highlight text etc?

2. Kolya

Kolya Stunt Coordinator

This was covered on slashdot recently

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

The slashdotters seem to point to electrical interfere, but I had a similar problem once upon a time- and that solution wasn't true. The big question is: Does this static sound happen when playing CDS or just when listing to MP3 and other files on the machine?

I noticed my old machine did this as well with music that was being processed by the machine itself (CDs played back using the standard analog off the back of the drive connection didn't wig out at all).

Eventually it just seemed to be a memory problem with the machine. I just gave the machine away to a friend.

-Vince

4. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

OK, I was messing around with my volume controls in Windows, I started muting sources one by one. When I muted Line-In, the sound stopped, as did a slight hiss that was constant. This is where I have my TV capture card's audio running in. So, I un-muted it, and the sound was gone. So now I'm free and clear, if it happens again, I shall try this again [​IMG]