Hearing Quadraphonic Records

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Were, Jun 28, 2002.

1. Michael Were

Michael Were Stunt Coordinator

Greetings,

After a trip back to Oregon, listening to a SACD player in a store, a DVD-A player at a friends house and a discussion about the fads of the 1970s, I became quite interested in quadraphonic music.

Going through my meager record collection when I got home I discovered that I am a proud owner of one quad recording: Charlie Haden "Liberation Music Orchestra (Impulse AS-9183 QS). I have learned that the QS is a matrix format which requires a decoder.

My current setup includes a Integra DTR-5 receiver (which allows for the rears to be active while playing through prologic etc. (even if it's not how Charlie intended it to be heard)), an inherited Pioneer PL-S50 turntable, PSB image speakers, mission subwoofer and no decoder. I looked on Ebay and googled QS decoder try to find out how much these things cost to no luck. I only have one quad record, so I really don't want to spend a lot of much money to hear the recording in all of its glory (even though the recording is quite inspired). Is there a inexpensive cheat that anyone knows to get me true quad sound from a matrix recording??

I am quite new to this audiophile thing, due primarily to moving to a small Colorado town that brings in only bluegrass, "newgrass" and roots music -> read as more Bluegrass (at least in the case of this town). I now rely only on recorded music for my aural solace.

As far as my experience with the SACD vs. DVD-A thing, the setups I heard were so different (sacd-tube amp-Maggies vs. DVD-A-solid state amp-polk audio) I couldn't make up my mind which format I like better. I want to hear the Philips 963 and compare it to the Panasonic 82 if I can make it to a City in the fall. I am leaning more toward SACD due to it's emphasis on Jazz and Classical music.

Sorry about the non-sequitor rant and I look forward to any replies.

Michael

2. charles white

charles white Second Unit

You can try the old David Hafler 4 speaker set up. Very easy to do with a 2nd set of speakers and some cables. The problem may lie within the amp itself. because of its unusual wiring set up, the amp may not work sensing a short circuit from the wires.

3. Micahel C

Micahel C Stunt Coordinator

Michael, Short of finding a QS decoder, there are no shortcuts to hearing the correct mix. Playing back through a receiver into 4 speakers will only give you the front stereo channels repeated in the back. There are a number of QS decoders available, but some are crap while others are very good. The Sansui QSD-1 is recognized as the best ever built for QS decoding. Just remember that this is vintage equipment and as such usually requires a moderate amount of work to bring them back to snuff. This is true even when the equipment has been extremely well cared for. Leaking caps are the most notorious problem and almost always need to be replaced. If you're a do-it-yourselfer, it makes for a great project however.

4. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

Finding a QS (aka: "RM") matrix decoder can be a tough call, and finding a QS Variomatrix decoder is tougher yet, (Vario' offers full logic decoding) but there is a new hope for QS decoding. A good friend and die-hard quad buff just sent me an update on QS decoding which I'm sure he wouldn't me sharing:

5. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

6. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    There's a cult of people that stille have quad recievers around here. My favorite A/V repair man is one of them. I gave him my quad copies of FIRESIGN THEATRE's EVERY THING YOU KNOW IS WRONG and another record, I forget... I'll ask him if he has any decoders. All I've ever heard him talk about is recievers though. It might be intresting to take a quad reciever that had pre-outs and pump them into a 5.1 input...?

NP - Style Council's Laserdisc of FAR EAST AND FAR OUT. MONEY GO ROUND at the moment.

7. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

I thought that by now someone would have made a masters thesis project out of creating DSP code to decode the old quad formats.

8. Michael Were

Michael Were Stunt Coordinator

Thanks everyone for the imput. The information stored in the people in the forum is amazing. I thought that it wouldn't be easy to get to hear the entire album. I guess the best thing I can do is look for an old decoder so I can join the 20th century. Until then I will wait for the philips 963 so I can join the 21st century.

Michael

9. Michael St. Clair

If you email that guy who runs the AOL site, he can transfer it to DTS CD-R for you for a small fee.

10. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

A Dolby Prologic system should be able to play a Quad LP. SQ and Prologic are about the same. Except, in Prologic, the rears aren't stereo. Now, WHY IS THAT? Why the hell are the rears mono on prologic and the rears on QUAD stereo? That's kinda stupid. Why didn't they use SQ for movies and add a center speaker to that? And now they got Prologic 2, which probably sounds like SQ Quad did, but with a center speaker this time. If somebody can tell me why the rears are stereo on QUAD and why the rears are Mono on Prologic, I'll appreciate it.

11. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor

12. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

13. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

14. Alex Shk

Alex Shk Stunt Coordinator

From an old Quad head: The separation on the rear channels on SQ and QS (matrixed) quad was so slight as to be almost nonexistant. As a matter of fact - they used to have an explanantion of quad formats on the inner sleeve of CD-4 discreet quad discs - that told you the rear channels in matrixed format were essentially out-of-phase mono.

15. Larry Geller

16. Alex Shk

Alex Shk Stunt Coordinator

17. Larry Geller